1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pouring liquids question

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1

I've been away for quite some time but i'm back now.

After some observations lately, I noticed an interesting thing about pouring liquids.
    While pouring a liquid out of a bottle (you should try out next time you pour your milk or somthing) the liquid, providing it is poured slowly and at a constant speed forms a link chain shape : chain-links.jpg

here are some examples: but you should really try it yourself to see:
    work.3412233.4.fp,375x360,mocha,black,flat,l,ffffff.jpg http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Creatas_JI/p_432017.jpg
    pouring+in+liquid.jpg 2443957637_4cfbd5e935.jpg

Does anyone have an idea why?

Thank you
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    Nice observation.I suspect that the shape with which the liquid leaves the bottle/container has a large effect.The bottom part of the liquid stream initially leaves the container with a shape determined by the lip of the container and the top part of the stream is more flattened.As it falls surface tension tends to pull the stream into a more cylindrical shape and this possibly may result in oscillations of the stream.Other factors such as viscosity must play a part.These are just my first impression thoughts.
  4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    Could also have something to do with the pressure differences in liquid due to the upper liquid pressing on the liquid beneath it right near the edge of the bottle. Might cause an extra acceleration on one side, and since the other part (upper liquid) is moving slower, the liquid which is going faster could be dragging it along for the ride, giving the whole thing that spin.
    Just my humble opinion.
  5. Jan 30, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Fluid jets are a venerable problem, and the question of stability has only been solved for axisymmetric cases. Your observation is due, in part, to the fact that fluid is not issuing from an orifice (in the sense that cylindrical jets issue from an orifice). Consequently, your problem is the free surface of the fluid *everywhere*, including the fluid "still in the container".

There's only a few statements that can be made at this time: that the local curvature reflects the (local) pressure jump across the interface, and the interfacial energy acts to minimize the surface area.

I haven't read this:

but it should give you an idea of what is considered state-of-the-art knowledge.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook