POVM Measurement Example: Intuitive & Easy-to-Understand

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, a POVM measurement is a simultaneous but unsharp measurements of position and momentum. To perform this measurement, you let a measuring system interact with the system being measured, and then observe the measuring system.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need a simple, intuitive, and easy-to-comprehend example of a POVM measurement, which is not a projective measurement. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a system which is a tensor factor of a larger system and perform a projective measurement on that larger system with a basis that does not separate in that tensor factor. The subsystem is then undergoing a POVM measurement.

Jazzdude, it is clear mathematically but not physically. How a measurement in such a mixed basis can be performed in practice? Any simple example?

Demystifier said:
Jazzdude, it is clear mathematically but not physically. How a measurement in such a mixed basis can be performed in practice? Any simple example?

Indeed - mathematically I love that explanation - but physically its meaning is unclear. Physically I think the following is better - see page 14-16:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0205039v1.pdf

Its basically what results when you let a measuring system interact with the system being measured then observe the measuring system.

Also note the cool almost trivial proof of Gleasons Theorem with POVM's.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Son Goku
Demystifier said:

Take a system of two particle with nonzero spin and measure the total spin. Then you can describe the measurement as a POVM measurement for each individual particle.

In quantum information theory one often considers measuring an entangled system in the Bell basis, which also results in a POVM for each subsystem.

Does that make it clearer? If you're asking how you actually perform an experiment to measure those I must admit that I have almost no knowledge about that.

Cheers,
Jazz

Demystifier said:
I need a simple, intuitive, and easy-to-comprehend example of a POVM measurement, which is not a projective measurement. Any suggestions?

The family of coherent states is a POVM of the kind you want, describing a simultaneous but unsharp measurements of position and momentum.

Likes Son Goku
Thank you all. The example by Neumaier satisfies my criteria the best.

1. What is a POVM measurement?

A POVM (Positive Operator Valued Measure) measurement is a measurement used in quantum mechanics to describe the outcomes of a quantum system. It is used to determine the probabilities of different states of a quantum system, rather than just the classical "yes" or "no" outcomes.

2. How does a POVM measurement work?

A POVM measurement works by using a set of positive operators, which correspond to different possible outcomes of the measurement. These operators are then applied to the quantum state, and the resulting probabilities of each outcome are calculated.

3. Can you give an example of a POVM measurement?

One example of a POVM measurement is the measurement of the polarization state of a photon. The positive operators in this case would correspond to different polarizations, such as horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. The resulting probabilities would then give information about the polarization state of the photon.

4. Why is a POVM measurement important in quantum mechanics?

POVM measurements are important in quantum mechanics because they allow for a more complete description of quantum systems and their potential outcomes. They also play a crucial role in understanding entanglement and quantum information processing.

5. Are POVM measurements easy to understand?

POVM measurements may seem complex at first, but with some basic knowledge of quantum mechanics, they can be explained and understood in an intuitive and easy-to-understand manner. It may take some time to grasp the concept fully, but with practice and further study, POVM measurements can become clearer and more familiar.