1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powder diffraction

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    Hello! X-ray powder diffraction can be used to determine the structure of crystal. I am given the diffraction angles (theta) for a sample and I am supposed to see if it has fcc, bcc or diamond structure. I read that if one plots sqr(sin(theta)) against ( sqr(h) +sqr(k) +sqr(l) ) where h, k, l are Miller indices one gets a straight line. So what I should do is plot for the series of Miller indices for fcc, bcc and diamond and see which gives a straight line. But I have no idea where to get the miller indices series from. Could you please help me? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct. Do you understand why this is true, or what equation it is derived from?

You must have learnt about structure factor. If you have forgotten, look it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook