How can powder be sampled under vacuum in a flowing pipe?

In summary: Another option could be to use a cyclone separator to remove the larger particles before sampling, but this may not be feasible for your specific installation. In summary, for sampling powder flowing through a pipe under vacuum, the best options would be a vacuum rotary valve sampler or separating larger particles before sampling with a cyclone separator.
katchum
Good day

I'm wondering how to sample powder that is flowing through a pipe under vacuum.
Which systems can be used for this?

I have a DN300 pipe under slight vacuum (ranging -500 mbarg to -100 mbarg). The sampler should be connected to the pipe.

These are the process conditions of our installation.

- Product flow : 180 kg/hr powder = 0.1125 m^3/hr
- Particle diameter 40-200 micron
- DN300mm pipe
- Air Flow = 7000 m^3/hr
- Powder concentration = 16 ppm = +/- product flow / air flow
- Velocity of air = 100000m/hr = 27 m/s

I found out on line samplers also use vacuum to retract the sample, but this vacuum is too small to overcome the -500 mbar of our installation. Other samplers with a retractible arm are of no use because of the high velocity of air in the pipe. I can only imagine a sampler that has a huge ventilator that can suck the powder out from the pipe wall. The problem with this kind of sampler is that large particles and small particles will be separated which gives an unrepresentative sample. Another solution would be to cut the pipe in two pieces and build a cyclone + rotary valve in the intersection.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the hints.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For this particular application, I would recommend a vacuum rotary valve sampler. This system uses a rotating valve to draw the sample from the pipe, and then a vacuum system to suck the sample into a container. The advantage of this setup is that it samples at a constant rate, and is able to handle particles of any size. The disadvantage is that it requires a large vacuum system to pull the sample from the pipe.

1. What is powder sampling under vacuum?

Powder sampling under vacuum is a method used to collect samples of powdered materials in a controlled environment with reduced pressure. This allows for more accurate and representative samples to be collected without the risk of contamination from air or moisture.

2. Why is vacuum used for powder sampling?

Vacuum is used for powder sampling because it creates a lower pressure environment, which helps to prevent the powder particles from sticking together or agglomerating. This allows for a more uniform and representative sample to be collected.

3. What are the benefits of powder sampling under vacuum?

Powder sampling under vacuum offers several benefits, including improved accuracy and repeatability of samples, reduced risk of contamination, and the ability to collect samples from hard-to-reach or confined spaces.

4. How is vacuum created for powder sampling?

Vacuum can be created using a variety of methods, such as a vacuum pump, aspirator, or by applying a vacuum to a sealed container. The specific method used will depend on the type of powder being sampled and the equipment available.

5. What precautions should be taken when conducting powder sampling under vacuum?

When conducting powder sampling under vacuum, it is important to ensure that the vacuum is strong enough to prevent particles from settling or agglomerating. It is also important to use clean and appropriate sampling equipment to avoid contamination. Care should also be taken to prevent exposure to the vacuum, as it can be dangerous if mishandled.