Powe series of functions

In summary, The conversation revolves around finding the power series representation and domain of convergence for the given function, (1-x)/(1-2x)^3. The suggested approach is to use Taylor's formula and the binomial expansion. However, there are some discrepancies in the calculation of derivatives, which need to be corrected by using the quotient rule and chain rule. Ultimately, the function converges for |x|<1/2.
dan
Hi, I am stuck on this problem!

Given the function, find the first four terms of the power series representation and find the domain of convergence?

function is;
(1-x)/(1-2x)^3

my calculation;
find derivatives of the function.

y'=(1-x)/(1-2x)^4
y''=(1-x)/(1-2x)^5

I am having difficulty in knowing if what I did was correct.

I'm not sure if this is how you are meant to approach it and if what I did was the correct way to go about solving the problem.

If anyone can help me in solving my problem your help will be appreciated.

Dj

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi dan,
I think you should use Taylor's formula.
It's true you need the derivatives.
But I think your results are wrong. I get, for instance,

y'=(5-4x)/(1-2x)^4

Use the binomial expansion to get a series for (1-2x)-3, multiply the first few terms by (1-x). It will converge for |x|<1/2.

Your derivatives are not exactly correct. You need to use the quotient rule and the chain rule in this case.
Remember the quotient rule y' = (vu' - uv')/v^2.
Now let u = (1-x) and v = (1-2x)^3.
u' = -1, v' = -6(1-2x)^2 (chain rule).

therefore y' = (-(1-2x)^3-(-6)(1-x)(1-2x)^2)/(1-2x)^6
= ((1-2x)^2(5-4x))/(1-2x)^6
= (5-4x)/(1-2x)^4

What is a power series of functions?

A power series of functions is a mathematical concept that involves representing a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial multiplied by a constant raised to a power. It is often used in calculus to approximate functions that are difficult to integrate or differentiate.

What is the general form of a power series of functions?

The general form of a power series of functions is given by:
n=0∞ cn(x-a)n
where cn represents the coefficients, a is the center of the series, and x is the variable of the function.

How is the convergence of a power series determined?

The convergence of a power series can be determined using the ratio test, which states that if the limit of |cn+1/cn| as n approaches infinity is less than 1, then the series converges absolutely. It can also be determined by comparing the series to known power series with known convergence properties.

What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is the distance from the center of the series within which the series converges. It can be calculated using the ratio test, and the series will converge within this radius and diverge outside of it.

What are some common applications of power series of functions?

Power series of functions have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are often used to approximate functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions, for easier integration or differentiation. They are also used in engineering and physics to model real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits or oscillating systems.