Powell AND Ashcroft resigning?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary: It's important to have a variety of opinions and perspectives in order to get the best results.In summary, Colin Powell is resigning from his position as Secretary of State, and there is speculation that Ashcroft may also resign.
wasteofo2
I'm sure most people have heard that Colin Powell has no plans of staying on as Secretary of State for a Second term, and I just heard on CNN that Ashcroft might retire, partially due to poor health (pancreas inflamation).

So, what do you guys think, will Bush make good on his promises of Bi-Partisanship and appoint some Republicans like Powell or possibly even Democrats, or will he just take advantage of the majority he has in the Senate and appoint someone who has no differences with him?

Any ideas who may replace Powell and possibly Ashcroft if they resign? I saw McCain re-affirming his stance that he DOES NOT want a cabinet position today, so he's out. Maybe Joe Biden for Sec. of State? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Show me this news about powell resigning

Its been mentioned on CNN a few times. I'd not hear about Ashcroft though. But that is good, Ashcroft needs to go, he was nothing but trouble, no so much for Bush as for the American people.

I had thought it was pretty common knowledge. I'm not positive he's officially announced it, but for a good stretch of a few weeks I remember hearing/reading that Powell was just tired of Government life and if Bush were re-elected, wouldn't stay on for another term, and that if Kerry were elected, wouldn't accept a cabinet position.

Perhaps it was all just unsubtantiaed rumors, I don't know, I'll try to check it out. I have a feeling he confirmed it when he was on Meet The Press, but I can't be sure.

However, if you look at Powell pre-war, he seemed eager, lively, totally affirmed that we were doing the right thing etc. After the war, he's been the only apologetic member of the Administration for having misled the public, and he seems just dejected and lifeless in general.

Powell resigning is nothing more than speculation (and it's been going on for some time). It's based on the feeling that he doesn't really fit in this administration - that as a sole voice of reason, he's frequently ignored.

Ashcroft resigning is a definite possibility.

There's always some turnover between first and second term. A four year term on the cabinet is good. Eight years adds nothing to it and puts their personal careers on hold.

What are the reasons behind Powell and Ashcroft resigning?

Powell resigned from his position as Secretary of State due to differences in opinion with the Bush administration on foreign policy issues. Ashcroft resigned from his position as Attorney General due to health reasons.

Who will replace Powell and Ashcroft in their positions?

Condoleezza Rice was appointed as the new Secretary of State, and Alberto Gonzales was appointed as the new Attorney General.

Will Powell and Ashcroft's resignations have an impact on the current administration?

Their resignations may have some impact on the current administration, as they were both important members of President Bush's cabinet. However, the impact will depend on the effectiveness of their replacements.

How long did Powell and Ashcroft serve in their positions?

Powell served as Secretary of State for four years, from 2001 to 2005. Ashcroft served as Attorney General for four years, from 2001 to 2005.

What are the implications of Powell and Ashcroft's resignations on US foreign policy and law enforcement?

The impact of their resignations on US foreign policy and law enforcement is yet to be seen. However, their replacements are expected to continue the policies and initiatives set by Powell and Ashcroft during their tenure.