1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power absorbed in a circuit

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried using P=VI then integrating P from t1 to t2 where I get 225uJ but it keeps telling me I am wrong. Seems like a rather simple problem.

circuits.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I think you left out a factor of 1/2 in the first part of the integration. I get half of your answer.

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

uart

Science Advisor

I think he's out by a factor of 6.

If you normalize everything it just comes down to [itex]\int_0^1 x(1-x) dx = 1/6[/itex]

Doing it properly with V, I and tr in the equation you get [tex]\frac{V \, I \, t_r}{6}[/tex]

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting approach. Did you try it just the standard way, though? The number for t is so small that the t^3 term after the integration is negligible (if I did it right), and only the t^2 term contributes to the answer...

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    I ended up figuring it out. I decided to write equations for the slopes of each line. So

for the voltage

-30/250x + 30

For current

30/250x
    [itex]\int[/itex](-30/250x+30)(30/250x)dx from 0 to 250

Then multiply by 10^-3 to get in micro jewel

Comes to 37.5uJ

Crazy little problem but I am ME so not used to this sort of thing.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6
    I just noticed everyone's approach worked, geniuses. Thanks for everything, its nice to know there are still people out there willing to help others. I will definitely write these approaches down in my book for later use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook