Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Power absorbed in a circuit

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried using P=VI then integrating P from t1 to t2 where I get 225uJ but it keeps telling me I am wrong. Seems like a rather simple problem.

circuits.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I think you left out a factor of 1/2 in the first part of the integration. I get half of your answer.

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

uart

Science Advisor

I think he's out by a factor of 6.

If you normalize everything it just comes down to [itex]\int_0^1 x(1-x) dx = 1/6[/itex]

Doing it properly with V, I and tr in the equation you get [tex]\frac{V \, I \, t_r}{6}[/tex]

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting approach. Did you try it just the standard way, though? The number for t is so small that the t^3 term after the integration is negligible (if I did it right), and only the t^2 term contributes to the answer...

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    I ended up figuring it out. I decided to write equations for the slopes of each line. So

for the voltage

-30/250x + 30

For current

30/250x
    [itex]\int[/itex](-30/250x+30)(30/250x)dx from 0 to 250

Then multiply by 10^-3 to get in micro jewel

Comes to 37.5uJ

Crazy little problem but I am ME so not used to this sort of thing.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6
    I just noticed everyone's approach worked, geniuses. Thanks for everything, its nice to know there are still people out there willing to help others. I will definitely write these approaches down in my book for later use.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook