Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power addition

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    is there any way to add power of two independent chain drives having different rpm , such that slipping doesn't occur and driven shaft move with the added resultant power

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Is the ratio of the 2 speeds constant? If so, you can use gearing. If not, you could consider a CVT (continuously variable transmission) as part of the coupling...

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

A differential in reverse. I believe there is a word for that but it escapes me. Combiner perhaps?

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How cool. I haven't seen that before...

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to think this through carefully, otherwise you may end up with one motor driving the other motor backwards instead of driving the load. If this is a problem you would have to add something that works the same as a limited slip differential.

For many types of motor, the power output depends on the RPM, so you will need to make sure the drive system is stable, in the sense that one motor can't speed up and produce more power, and force the other motor to slow down and produce less power.

7. Mar 26, 2014 #6

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

John Deere does it in their IVT tractors. Nothing new. That is not to say they aren't loaded with sensors to keep tabs on what is going on. The unit has a hydrostatic drive on one side of the combiner and straight in mechanical on the other side. You set a target speed and the computer sets the engine RPM and the IVT to maintain this speed at maximum economy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook