1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and force

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    just took my physics test today and it turns out that the 2 problems i couldn't get both happened to test my understanding of the relation between power and force. I dont have numbers but i'd like to get a better understanding of that concept so.. here's the gist of it:

There's a cyclist moving at 8 m/s w/ 500W. Find the force used to push down the pedal.

something like that. Any little hint would be appreciated! Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that the problem asked for the force used to push down the pedal? The reason I ask is that the given information is sufficient to tell you the force with which the bike is propelled forward, but that is not necessarily the same as the force applied to the pedal.
  4. Oct 24, 2005 #3
    if not the force applied to the pedal, then it's probably the force that propels the bike forward.

*I don't remember the exact wording, but i;m sure of the info that was given.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?