Power and Resistance in Electrical Circuits

In summary, a person with a resistance of 13.0 kiloohms accidentally grasps a power supply with a potential difference of 16.0 V and an internal resistance of 2100 ohms. The current through the person's body was calculated to be 1.06×10−3 A using the equation I = V/(R_p + R_i). However, when attempting to find the power dissipated in the body using the equation P = I*V, the result was incorrect. It was noted that the two resistances may not be in series.
Tcat
Suppose that a person has a resistance of 13.0 kiloohms as part of a circuit which passes through his hands. This person accidentally grasps the terminals of a power supply with a potential difference of 16.0 V.
PART A:If the internal resistance of the power supply is 2100 ohms , what is the current through the person's body?
I calculated the current to be 1.06×10−3 A by using the equation I = V/(R_p + R_i)
PART B: To find the power dissipated in his body I thought you use the equation P = I*V so P =(1.06*10^-3 A)*(16.0V) which gave me 1.70*10^-2 which is wrong. What I am doing wrong??
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed that the 2 resistances are in series. Are they?

I noticed the same post in the Intro Physics section. You should avoid double posts.

1. What is the "power and resistance problem"?

The "power and resistance problem" refers to the complex relationship between power and resistance in a society. Power can be defined as the ability to influence or control others, while resistance is the act of opposing or defying power. This problem arises when those in power use their influence to maintain their position and suppress any forms of resistance.

2. Why is the "power and resistance problem" important to study?

Studying the "power and resistance problem" is important because it helps us understand how power operates in society and how it can be challenged. By examining this problem, we can also gain insights into social inequalities and injustices and work towards creating a more equitable society.

3. How does power manifest in society?

Power can manifest in various forms in society, such as economic power, political power, and cultural power. Economic power refers to the control of resources and wealth, political power refers to the control of decision-making processes, and cultural power refers to the influence over beliefs, values, and norms.

4. Can resistance be a positive force?

Yes, resistance can be a positive force as it can bring about social change and challenge oppressive power structures. It allows marginalized groups to voice their concerns and demand their rights. However, it can also lead to conflict and violence if not managed effectively.

5. How can we address the "power and resistance problem"?

To address the "power and resistance problem," we need to first acknowledge and understand the power dynamics at play in society. This can involve promoting inclusivity, diversity, and equity, and creating spaces for marginalized voices to be heard. It also requires actively challenging oppressive systems and supporting efforts towards social justice.