1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Resistance

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rank the resistors according to to the rate at which energy is dissipated in them.

Mazur1e.ch31.p88.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    P = I2R
    P = V2/R
    Iin=Iout at a node

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I looked considered the 20 Ω (top) and the 10 Ω(bottom). The current in them would be the same, so then applying the equations you get that the energy dissipated in the 20 Ω(top) > 10 Ω(bot).
    Next I looked at the 10, 5, and 20 Ω resistors in parallel. Resistors in parallel have the same voltage. Therefore, I concluded that the energy dissipated in the 5 Ω > 10 Ω > 20 Ω.
    Again I was thinking that the voltage would be same in the two 90 Ω resistors, so I have their energy dissipated equal, 90Ω(left) = 90Ω(right).

I think I did that part right. However, I do not know how to go about comparing these three sets. I feel that it would be 5Ω > 10Ω > 20Ω > 90Ω = 90Ω > 20Ω(top) > 10Ω(bottom) since parallel circuits take more energy than a series configuration. Does this look correct? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2
    find the equivalent of each parallel combination to reduce the circuit to a single mesh
    the resultant of (10,5,20) will be less than 5 so it will absorb the least amount of power
    (90,90)--> 45, the most amount.

4. Mar 8, 2016 #3
    The equivalant resistance from the 10,5,20 is approximately 2.86 ohms, and for 90,90 is, as you said, 45 ohms. So you're saying that the order would then be [90=90]>20(top)>10(bottom)>[5>10>20]?

5. Mar 8, 2016 #4
  6. Mar 8, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the correct order. The analysis you have looks a bit shy of actually showing that order, unless I missed something.

For instance, if there was a 30 Ω resistor replacing the 20 Ω resistor the order would be different.

The pair of 90 Ω resistors in parallel would dissipate more power than a 30 Ω resistor which is in series with the pair. However, combined they would dissipate less than twice the power, so that each dissipates lees than the 30 Ω resistor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted