Rank Resistors by Energy Dissipation: 5Ω > 10Ω > 20Ω > 90Ω

In summary, the order of resistors from highest to lowest rate of energy dissipation is [90=90]>20(top)>10(bottom)>[5>10>20]. This is determined by the equivalent resistance of each parallel combination, with the pair of 90 Ω resistors dissipating the most energy and the 10 Ω resistor dissipating the least.
mattbeatlefreak

Homework Statement

Rank the resistors according to to the rate at which energy is dissipated in them.

Mazur1e.ch31.p88.jpg

Homework Equations

P = I2R
P = V2/R
Iin=Iout at a node

The Attempt at a Solution

First I looked considered the 20 Ω (top) and the 10 Ω(bottom). The current in them would be the same, so then applying the equations you get that the energy dissipated in the 20 Ω(top) > 10 Ω(bot).
Next I looked at the 10, 5, and 20 Ω resistors in parallel. Resistors in parallel have the same voltage. Therefore, I concluded that the energy dissipated in the 5 Ω > 10 Ω > 20 Ω.
Again I was thinking that the voltage would be same in the two 90 Ω resistors, so I have their energy dissipated equal, 90Ω(left) = 90Ω(right).

I think I did that part right. However, I do not know how to go about comparing these three sets. I feel that it would be 5Ω > 10Ω > 20Ω > 90Ω = 90Ω > 20Ω(top) > 10Ω(bottom) since parallel circuits take more energy than a series configuration. Does this look correct? Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
find the equivalent of each parallel combination to reduce the circuit to a single mesh
the resultant of (10,5,20) will be less than 5 so it will absorb the least amount of power
(90,90)--> 45, the most amount.

Likes mattbeatlefreak
Passionate Eng said:
find the equivalent of each parallel combination to reduce the circuit to a single mesh
the resultant of (10,5,20) will be less than 5 so it will absorb the least amount of power
(90,90)--> 45, the most amount.

The equivalent resistance from the 10,5,20 is approximately 2.86 ohms, and for 90,90 is, as you said, 45 ohms. So you're saying that the order would then be [90=90]>20(top)>10(bottom)>[5>10>20]?

exactly

mattbeatlefreak said:
The equivalent resistance from the 10,5,20 is approximately 2.86 ohms, and for 90,90 is, as you said, 45 ohms. So you're saying that the order would then be [90=90]>20(top)>10(bottom)>[5>10>20]?
mattbeatlefreak said:
That is the correct order. The analysis you have looks a bit shy of actually showing that order, unless I missed something.

For instance, if there was a 30 Ω resistor replacing the 20 Ω resistor the order would be different.

The pair of 90 Ω resistors in parallel would dissipate more power than a 30 Ω resistor which is in series with the pair. However, combined they would dissipate less than twice the power, so that each dissipates lees than the 30 Ω resistor.

1. What is the purpose of ranking resistors by energy dissipation?

The purpose of ranking resistors by energy dissipation is to determine the amount of power that can be safely dissipated by each resistor. This is important in order to prevent overheating and potential damage to the circuit.

2. Why is the ranking in the order of 5Ω, 10Ω, 20Ω, and then 90Ω?

The ranking is based on the resistance values of the resistors. A lower resistance value means that the resistor can dissipate more energy without overheating. Therefore, the 5Ω resistor can safely dissipate more energy than the 10Ω resistor, and so on.

3. How is energy dissipation determined for resistors?

Energy dissipation for resistors is determined by using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. The resistance value of the resistor is a key factor in calculating the energy dissipation.

4. Can a resistor with a higher resistance value dissipate more energy than one with a lower resistance value?

No, a resistor with a higher resistance value cannot dissipate more energy than one with a lower resistance value. This is because a higher resistance value means that the resistor will limit the flow of current, thus reducing the amount of energy that can be dissipated.

5. What other factors besides resistance can affect the energy dissipation of a resistor?

Besides resistance, other factors that can affect the energy dissipation of a resistor include the ambient temperature, the type of material used in the resistor, and the construction and size of the resistor. These factors can impact the amount of heat that can be dissipated and therefore affect the overall energy dissipation.