1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Resistor problem

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    A blow-dryer and a vacuum cleaner each operate with a voltage of 120 V. The current rating of the blow-dryer is 13 A, and that of the vacuum cleaner is 3.0 A.
    (a) Determine the power consumed by the blow-dryer.
    1 W

(b) Determine the power consumed by the vacuum cleaner.
    2 W

(c) Determine the ratio of the energy used by the blow-dryer in 21 minutes to the energy used by the vacuum cleaner in one-half hour.
    Ebd / Evc = 3

Relevant Equations R=E^2/P
    I=E/R

I mostly get confusedon what E is and what R is in the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Hello johnson!

I'm afraid I just don't see how you get yours answers for Part a) and b). Here, we could use the equation [tex]P = IV[/tex], so for eg part a), I get approximately 1.6 kW, not 1 W. I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

For part c), Power is the rate of Energy per time, ie [tex] P = E/t[/tex]. Rearrang the equation for E (Energy). We can work out how much energy each item takes by then replacing P with the value we got earlier, and t with the time we are told (remember to convert to SI units). Then we can divide appropriately to get the ratio.

We don't need R anywhere.

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    thanks soo much...i just figured out that I messed up the equations like crazy...i have the right answers now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?