1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Satellites

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    Hello I need osme help with these two problems. I was told the ansers but do not undersatnd how the answers were gotten.

1. The power dissipated in lifting a 2.0 kg ball vertically at 3.0m/s equals what?
    The answer is 59 W. ALl I know is that power equals Work/ delta T but there is no time for this one.

2. Increasing the orbital radius of a satellite by a factor of 2 requires its period to change by a factor of what?

For thi I know R^3/T2=R^4/T^2.

I would appreciate any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

In the first problem:

Work = Force * distance (and actually it is an itegral) but let's assume the force is constant.

Power = d/dt (Work) or d/dt (Energy).

Now, if a mass m, which is subjected to gravity of acceleration g, is moved up a distance, h, it experiences a change in potential energy of mgh. Now if it moves at constant velocity, v, then v = h/t, where t is the time it takes to move a distance h.

In the second problem, be sure the formula is correct:

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_period#Calculation

4. Apr 7, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second one is wrong.

Kepler's Third Law: The square of the period is proportional to the cube of the mean distance.

In other words:
    [tex]t = C a^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

If the radius is doubled, then you have:

[tex]t = C (2a)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

C is just some constant, since Kepler's law just explains the relationship between the period and the average radius. However, C is equal to:
    [tex]C = \frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{G M}}[/tex]
    where G is the universal gravitational constant and M is the mass of the object the satellite is orbiting.

For Earth:
    [tex]G M = 398600.4418 \frac{km^3}{sec^2}[/tex]

If your satellite's radius was 42,164 km, your orbital period would be:

[tex]t=\frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{398600.4418 \frac{km^3}{sec^2}}} * (42164 km)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
    which, coincidentally, happens to equal the number of seconds required for the Earth to rotate 360 degrees.
  5. Apr 7, 2006 #4

The answer to the first question is much more simple than what Astronuc said. (He is not wrong at all though, but he uses big artillery for a really simple problem in my opinion :smile: ).

The power dissipated in lifting a 2.0 kg ball vertically at 3.0m/s equals what?
    Here is my answer:

In this exercice, the only force that apply on the ball is the weight P=mg.
    We know that: Power = Work / Time = (Force * Distance) / Time

With the infos provided, the simplest thing is to take 1 second for time:
    Power = (2 * 9.81 * 3) / 1 = 58.86 # 59 W

You could have taken any amount of time, provided you calculate the associated distance.

What astronuc said is more of the general case, but is still totally true though.

I hope I could help,

PS: Sorry if there are some english mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker ^^
  6. Apr 8, 2006 #5
    Or, if the force and velocity are constant, P=Fv. But, of course, that was his end result anyway. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?