1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and Work

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water is pumped from the ocean to a large reservoir on land. A total lift of 140m. At a rate of 60 cubic meters per hour and eject it with a speed of 65 m/s. If one cubic meter of sea water has a mass of 1,025 kg, find:
    a) The work done in lifting the water
    b) the work done in ejecting it
    c) the total work done
    d) the power developed
    e) if the pump is 90% efficient, what horse power engine is needed

given:
    d = 140m
    r (rate) = 60 cubic meters per hour
    v = 65 m/s
    m = 1,025 kg

for sure, A (work done in lifting the water) can be solved with W (work) = Fd.
    Since F is not given, W = (ma)d
    since a is not given, a = -v12 / 2d.

my dad said B (work done in ejecting it) can be solved with KE = 1/2mv2. But Im not sure.

Total work can be solved by adding A and B.

I don't know how to solve D and E.

Are my fomulas for A, B and C correct? What formulas should I use for D and E?
    Please and Thanx! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

It is much easier to use energy indeed.

you were given ρ=1025 kg/m3, not 'm'.

If you have the volume flow rate of 60 m3/hr, what do you get if you multiply that by the density (convert the volume flow rate to m3/s and then multiply)?

If the energy needed to lift the water a distance 'h' is E=mgh and we differentiate w.r.t. t, we will get dE/dt = d/dt(mgh) = gh*dm/dt. We know that power P=dE/dt, so P=gh*dm/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook