What is the power output needed to bike uphill at a steady speed of 4.5 m/s?

• Thread starter Symstar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation involves a question about the power output of a cyclist climbing a 6.0 degree hill at a steady speed of 4.5 m/s, assuming a total mass of 60 kg. The equations used are Newton's 1st law and P=W/t, with the attempt at a solution involving setting the x-axis along the incline and finding the force and power needed. However, after further discussion, it is discovered that there is a retardant force to be factored in, making the original solution incorrect.
Symstar

Homework Statement

A bicyclist coasts down a 6.0 degree hill at a steady speed of 4.5 m/s.
Assuming a total mass of 60 kg (bicycle plus rider), what must be the cyclist's power output to climb the same hill at the same speed?

Homework Equations

Newton's 1st law
P=W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P=\frac{W}{t}=F \cdot v[/tex]

Set x-axis along incline...
[tex]F-mg\sin\theta=0[/tex]
[tex]F=mg\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]P=mg\sin\theta*4.5 = 276.6 W[/tex]

To 2 sigfig = 280 W

Is this correct? I'm being told it is the wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right.
Who told you that is not?

The site where I submit my homework =/ I can't find any problem with it either, so I don't know what's up - guess I'll go ask the professor tomorrow. Thanks for checking my work and please let me know if you do think of somewhere I went wrong.

Just an update... since the rider coasts down the hill but isn't accelerating, we must assume that there is a retardant force which must also be factored in when going uphill. This is where I went wrong. Kind of a trick question... blah!

1. What is the importance of power in biking uphill?

Power is crucial when biking uphill because it determines how efficiently you can pedal and how fast you can reach the top. Having more power means you can maintain a higher speed and overcome the resistance of the incline easier.

2. How is power measured in biking uphill?

Power is measured in watts, which is a unit of measurement for energy. In biking, power is typically measured using a power meter that is attached to the bike's crank or pedals. This meter calculates the force applied to the pedals and the speed at which they are being turned to determine the power output.

3. Is it better to have more power or a lower gear when biking uphill?

It is generally better to have more power when biking uphill. Lower gears allow you to pedal at a higher cadence, but they also require more energy and can lead to fatigue. Having more power allows you to maintain a higher gear and pedal with more force, which can be more efficient and reduce fatigue.

4. How can I improve my power for biking uphill?

One way to improve power for biking uphill is to incorporate strength training into your workout routine. This can help strengthen the muscles used in pedaling, such as the quadriceps and glutes. Additionally, practicing interval training and hill repeats can also help improve power and endurance for biking uphill.

5. What are some tips for maintaining power while biking uphill?

To maintain power while biking uphill, it is important to keep a consistent pedaling cadence and avoid sudden bursts of energy. It can also be helpful to focus on your breathing and maintain good posture while biking. Additionally, shifting to a lower gear before the incline can help you maintain your power output and avoid excessive strain on your muscles.