1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Cable Question

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    I solved the first part of this problem, but I am a little stuck with finding the second part, which deals with power.

"A skier of mass 70.0 kg is pulled up a slope by a motor-driven cable. (a) How much work is required to pull him a distance of 60.0 m up a 30 degree slope (assumed frictionless) at a constant speed of 2.00 m/s? (b) A motor of what power is required to perform the task?"

In solving for part (a), I drew a free-body diagram and figured out what my x and y force components were:
    Fx = -mgsin(30) = 0 (constant speed, so no acceleration)
    Fy = n - mgcos(3) = 0

Fx = mgsin(30) = (70)(9.80)(sin(30)) = 343 N.

Because Work = F(displacement)(cos(theta)), we can issue that work is = (343)(60) which equals 20580 J or 20.6 KJ.

I understand that Power = work/time, but because there is no time given in this problem, how do we find part (b)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2
    The skier is moving 60m at 2m/s.
  4. Jul 19, 2006 #3
    Ah, of course. I figured it out. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?