Power consumed in a resistor

Hence, the power dissipated in one resistor can be related to the power supplied by the batteries. In summary, the question discusses the relationship between power dissipated in one resistor and the power supplied by batteries in a circuit with multiple resistors. The answer is found by assuming only one resistor and applying Ohm's law.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=1eddb76332f616651af9e5451b986d8b.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The first and foremost thing which I do not understand in this question is that there are many resistors present in the circuit , so how is it that we could relate power dissipated in one resistor to the power supplied by the batteries ??

But if I assume only one resistor , then I do get option a) .

Thanks

Attachments

• question4.png
    question4.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
But if I assume only one resistor , then I do get option a) .
That's correct.
Vibhor said:
The first and foremost thing which I do not understand in this question is that there are many resistors present in the circuit , so how is it that we could relate power dissipated in one resistor to the power supplied by the batteries ??
When you make changes in the supply voltage, voltage across and current through each resistor in the network change proportionally. This is because resistors follow linear relation between V and I i.e. Ohm's law, irrespective of their configuration.

1. What is the definition of power consumed in a resistor?

The power consumed in a resistor is the rate at which energy is dissipated or converted into heat as an electric current flows through it. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) across the resistor by the current (I) passing through it.

2. How does the resistance of a resistor affect the power consumed?

According to Ohm's law, the power consumed in a resistor is directly proportional to the square of the current and inversely proportional to the resistance. Therefore, as the resistance increases, the power consumed decreases and vice versa.

3. Is the power consumed in a resistor constant?

No, the power consumed in a resistor can vary depending on the current and voltage passing through it. If the current or voltage changes, the power consumed will also change accordingly.

4. How does the power consumption of a resistor affect its temperature?

The power consumed in a resistor is converted into heat, which can cause the resistor's temperature to increase. This can affect its resistance and may lead to changes in its electrical properties. Therefore, it is important to consider power dissipation and choose a resistor that can handle the expected heat dissipation.

5. Can the power consumed in a resistor be negative?

No, the power consumed in a resistor is always positive as it represents the amount of energy being dissipated. However, the power can be negative if the resistor is acting as a source, supplying power to the circuit instead of absorbing it.