Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Cord

1. Sep 26, 2014 #1
    I have an idea about an extension cord that is flat and sticky like tape. This will cause less mess around the TV and will prevent anyone from tripping over any cords

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Think about possible problems caused by the solution.

i.e. will the cord stick to things you don't want it to?
    Will unwanted things (dust, dirt, rubbish, small animals etc) stick to it? What would the consequences of that be?
    What about if the cord gets tangled?

You can experiment by wrapping an existing cord in double-sided tape.

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3
    I feel like it sticking to dirt and dust is inescapable in early testing. What might help?

5. Sep 26, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The standard way to make something stick to something else without sticking to unwanted stuff is to use hooks or catches or ties of some kind. The other approach, more for temporary fixing, is to use duct-tape to secure the cord to a surface and put boards and hazard-tape over the cord(s) were people have to walk. If the setup is permanent, then the cords are placed inside a permanent structure like a wall or a conduit.

You should be starting to come to these conclusions already.
    The problems you are trying to solve have existed and been researched since the invention of rope... that is a very long time.
    Most of the stuff we can think up already have solutions in place - but don't stop thinking about it. The trick is to figure what is wrong with the existing solutions and see if some advance in technology can help.

6. Sep 26, 2014 #5
    Ok I see. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook