Power: DEL or ABS? Solve Your Problem Here

• Thread starter DaVinci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the textbook has two wrong answers. One is that P delivered is -18W, while the other is that P delivered is +18W. My professor told me to always use Pabs=IV and Pdel=-IV to avoid this mistake.
DaVinci
I tried this thread in the Electrical Engineering area and nothing. So, hopefully someone reading this can explain this problem I am having.

We know that current in one direction is equal to its negative in the opposite direction. We also know P=IV for power. We also know that when current is going from + to -, P absorbed is +VI and P delivered = -VI. When you have current going from - to +, Pabs = -VI and Pdel = +VI.

So, you have -3A going from + to - through an element. There is 6V across that element. P=IV = (-3)(6) = -18W. Since the answer is - and current going from + to -, Pdel = -VI so it is -18W delivered. (Is my train of thought the correct way to view this?)

Now, imagine the same problem. You would have 3A going from - to +. So, P=IV=(3)(6) = 18W. Since current going from - to +, Pdel = +VI, so you have 18W delivered.

The signs are different! The book says the answer is P delivered = -18W. In both cases I found that the power is delivered. But the sign is off in the second example leading to an incorrect answer...

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered that current has a direction, and could have a negative sign as well?

Yes. I said "We know that current in one direction is equal to its negative in the opposite direction."

The problem is EXACTLY that. Once you get the answers to the examples I gave, the sign is messed up and I cannot figure out why.

If a current is going from a negtive to the positive what is its sign??

look for your error in the solutions

The problem states -3A going from + to -.

This translates to 3A going from - to +, correct?

X amps going in one direction is equal to -X amps going in the opposite direction.

DaVinci said:
The problem states -3A going from + to -.

This translates to 3A going from - to +, correct?

X amps going in one direction is equal to -X amps going in the opposite direction.

for the sake of convention stick with the + to - and convert everything from + to - (i mean direction!)to avoid confusion in teh future

If I do that then the answer is incorrect.

That is what I want to know. Why is the answer incorrect?

DaVinci said:
If I do that then the answer is incorrect.

That is what I want to know. Why is the answer incorrect?

It appears that you're double correcting for the direction of the current.
Try always using Pabs=IV and Pdel=-IV.

I talked to my professor about this today...

The problem is the textbook has two wrong answers in it. His solutions manual for the text has the correct answers. So, all weekend I spent trying to make the numbers work and confusing myself. Now it is all clear since I found the book was wrong. :)

1. What is the difference between DEL and ABS power?

DEL power refers to direct electrical power, which is typically used in smaller electronic devices. ABS power, on the other hand, stands for alternating power and is typically used in larger appliances and buildings. The main difference is the way in which the power is delivered and used.

2. Which type of power is more efficient?

This depends on the specific application and usage. DEL power tends to be more efficient for smaller devices, while ABS power is more efficient for larger appliances and buildings. However, advancements in technology have made both types of power more efficient over time.

3. How do I determine which type of power is needed for my device?

You will need to check the specifications of your device or consult with the manufacturer to determine the type of power required. In general, smaller devices will use DEL power and larger devices will use ABS power.

4. Can I convert between DEL and ABS power?

Yes, it is possible to convert between DEL and ABS power using a power converter. However, it is important to note that this may not always be the most efficient or cost-effective solution.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using DEL or ABS power?

Both types of power can have safety concerns if not used properly. DEL power has a lower voltage and is generally considered safer for small devices. ABS power has a higher voltage and can be more dangerous if not handled correctly. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use the correct power for your device.