Power dissipated without a load?

In summary, the conversation is about a student questioning the answer key to an introductory circuits test. The student argues that the circuit described in the answer key, which includes ideal voltage and current sources but no resistors, cannot dissipate power. Another student responds by explaining that even though the sources are ideal, they still have internal resistances that can affect the circuit. The conversation concludes by stating that in the given examples, there is no dissipated power but there is delivered and absorbed power in each source.
jsaxton
Greetings,

I recently took an introductory circuits test. The answer key was released today. I am convinced it's wrong, and if my argument is flawed, I'd like to know before bringing it up with the instructor (no, not the professor, the BME guy who appears to apply equations without actually knowing what they mean).

The http://www.ece.umn.edu/class/ee2001/quiz_1a_solution.pdf [Broken] basically had three idealized voltage sources and a current source. There are no resistors (no load, as far as I can tell). However, power is dissipated in the circuit (according to the answer key). Now, as far as I can tell, this is not possible as P=R*I^2. R=0 (as far as I can tell). Hence no power is dissipated.

I have heard one counterargument: the current source implies a resistance in the voltage source, despite the fact it is ideal. Still how can one dissipate power without a resistor? Am I in the wrong? Can one even have current without a load?

From a physics perspective, what would happen is that the potential differences would simply equal out (we'd get a massive equipotential). Again, as this is an ideal circuit, no voltage would be dropped on the "wires" and no power would be dissipated. Is this reasoning sound?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In order to dissipate power you really need a resistor, but the voltage and current sources will be delivering or absorbing power according to p = VI. If the current I enters the higher potential, the power is positive, so the source is absorbing power. If the current enters the lower potential and leaves by the higher one, the source is delivering power.

jsaxton said:
I have heard one counterargument: the current source implies a resistance in the voltage source, despite the fact it is ideal. Still how can one dissipate power without a resistor? Am I in the wrong? Can one even have current without a load?

I am an electronics student as well. The way that I learned it was that a current source implied a resistance that was present even if the source happened to be turned off, i.e. the equivalent circuit to represent the internals is an idealized current source in parallel with a resistor representing internal source resistance (for a voltage source, the internal resistance is in series, so open means no resistance effect).

If the current is turned off, the internal resistance of the current source is still in the circuit, whereas if a voltage source is turned off, you have an open circuit.

thtadthtshldntbe said:
I am an electronics student as well. The way that I learned it was that a current source implied a resistance that was present even if the source happened to be turned off, i.e. the equivalent circuit to represent the internals is an idealized current source in parallel with a resistor representing internal source resistance (for a voltage source, the internal resistance is in series, so open means no resistance effect).

If the current is turned off, the internal resistance of the current source is still in the circuit, whereas if a voltage source is turned off, you have an open circuit.
In the examples given all sources are ideal, so the current sources have infinite parallel resistances and the voltage sources have zero series resistances.
There is no dissipated power, but there is delivered and absorbed power in each source.

What is power dissipated without a load?

Power dissipated without a load refers to the amount of energy that is lost or consumed by a device or circuit when it is powered on but not connected to any external load or load resistance.

Why is power dissipated without a load important?

Power dissipated without a load is an important concept in electronics as it can affect the performance and efficiency of a device or circuit. It can also lead to excess heat generation and potential damage to the components.

What causes power dissipated without a load?

Power dissipated without a load is caused by the internal resistance of the components in a circuit. This resistance leads to the flow of current even when there is no external load connected.

How can power dissipated without a load be reduced?

Power dissipated without a load can be reduced by using components with lower internal resistance or by using a load resistance that matches the internal resistance of the circuit. This will minimize the flow of current and reduce power dissipation.

What are the consequences of excessive power dissipated without a load?

Excessive power dissipated without a load can lead to inefficiency, reduced lifespan of components, and potential damage to the circuit. It can also result in wasted energy and increased electricity costs.