1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Dissipation

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The instantaneous power dissipated by the damping force in a driven oscillator is [tex]P(t) = f_x v_x = -bv_x ^2[/tex].
    Show that the average power dissipated during one cycle of steady-state motion is [tex]\overline{P} = -\frac{1}{2} b\omega^2 A^2[/tex], where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the driving frequency and [tex]A = |\underline{A}|[/tex] is the oscillation amplitude.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm attempting to just solve an integral for the average power:

[tex] \omega/2\pi*\int^{2\pi/\omega}_{0} -bv_x^2 dt[/tex]

But what is [tex]v_x[/tex]? If [tex]x(t) = \underline{A} e^{i \omega t}[/tex], then [tex]v(t) = i \omega \underline{A} e^{i \omega t} = i\omega x(t)[/tex]. So then I think that [tex]v_x = i\omega[/tex] but this doesn't give me the correct answer when put into the integral. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the real solution,

[tex] x(t) = \underline{A} cos(\omega t) [/tex] or [tex] \underline{A} sin(\omega t)[/tex].

The world is real, the displacement or velocity of a vibrating body is a real quantity. The complex formalism is just a tool to make solutions easier. It works for linear relations only.

ehild

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3
    So then if I just use [tex] x(t) = A cos(\omega t) [/tex], then it follows that [tex] v(t) = -\omega A sin(\omega t) [/tex]. Is [tex]v_x[/tex] just dv/dt / dx/dt then? That would make it [tex]\omega cot(\omega t)[/tex] which also does not work in the integral

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand what you are doing. [tex]v_x[/tex] is the same as your v(t). The subscribe "x" means the x component of the velocity, and it is the time derivative of the x component of the displacement, x(t). That is, [tex]v_x = dx/dt[/tex] .

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook