Calculating Power Dissipation in a Circuit with Resistors in Series and Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses using the loop and junction rule to solve for the equivalent resistance and current in a circuit with two unknown resistors in series and parallel. The conclusion is that the equivalent resistance is 8kΩ and the power can be determined using the equation P=I^2*R.
Pi Face
http://imgur.com/WO1zq

I tried the loop rule method but I couldn't get it to work since I had 2 unknowns (currrent and R1/R2)
I know that for resistors in series, the current through both are the same. Also, R1 should equal R2, beecase they need to dissipiate the same power. This means the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2 is just half of either one (R1/2). So, the total equivalent resistance is 2k+R_1/2.
I also know that the voltage across two resistors in parallel is the same, so V across R1 and R2 are equal, meaning the current through both are equal as well. Using the junction rule, if I1 is the current through the first resistor Rb, then the current through R1 and R2 is I_1/2 for each.

I think I know a fair amount about the circuit but I'm not sure how to combine all of it into something sensible...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found out a lot, just go ahead! You know that half of the current flowing through the 2kΩ resistor flows through R1. How is the power related to the resistance and current?

ehild

P=I^2*R right?
but R is still R1 or R2, and I don't know the current numerically. I know it's half of I1, but what's I1? The only way I can think of finding it is I=V/Req, where V is 10 and Req is 2k+R_1/2, which for R1 I don't know either and leads me in a circle

Pi Face said:
P=I^2*R right?

It is right. If I is the current through the 2kΩ resistor, then P=2000I2.
It is the same as the power on the unknown R1 with I/2 current: P=R1 (I/2)2, is not it? Compare the equations. ehild

ahh I see, I don't actually need to find the value of I

P=2000I^2=R*(I/2)^2=R*(1/4)I^2

meaning R must be 4 times 2k, or 8kΩ. And both R1 and R2 are equal so 8k for both, which I think is what the solutions said

cool, thanks!

1. What is power dissipation in a circuit?

Power dissipation in a circuit is the amount of energy that is converted into heat when electrical current flows through a circuit. It is measured in watts (W) and is a result of the resistance in the circuit.

2. How is power dissipation calculated?

Power dissipation can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is voltage in volts.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in a circuit?

The two main factors that affect power dissipation in a circuit are current and resistance. The higher the current, the higher the power dissipation will be. Similarly, the higher the resistance, the higher the power dissipation will be.

4. How does power dissipation impact circuit components?

Power dissipation can cause components in a circuit to heat up, which can lead to damage or malfunction. It is important to choose components with appropriate power ratings to avoid overheating and potential failure.

5. Can power dissipation be decreased in a circuit?

Yes, power dissipation can be decreased in a circuit by reducing the current or resistance. This can be achieved by using components with lower resistance values or by using more efficient components. Additionally, using larger wire sizes can also decrease power dissipation by minimizing resistance in the circuit.