Power distribution in EU

  • News
  • Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • #1
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
The power of Germany in the EU will be much greater from May when the Union will grow from 15 to 25 countries. A new rule has been adapted in which a law can be passed only when the pro-voters represent 60% of the Europese population.

Right now Germany has 11,5% of the vote, this will become 18,1%. France has 11,5% which will increase to 13,2%.

Italy and Great-Britain will also gain power.

The moral of the story is that Germany and France have 30% of the votes combined, if they are able to pursuade some of their befriended nations, their vote would surpass the 40% necessary to stop the passing of a new law.

In other words: as long as Paris and Berlin work together, it will be impossible to pass new laws. Can you feel the conspiracy rizing? :P
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
55
9
We should have killed them and taken control of france and germany when we had the chance.
 
  • #3
GENIERE
I'm quite certain that French will be the EU language of the future and will be called Eurolanguage. Chirac will feel quite comfortable when as President of the EU he speaks in the new European tongue. Foreign words will not be incorporated into Eurolanguage lest they taint it.
 
  • #4
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
I'm quite certain that French will be the EU language of the future and will be called Eurolanguage. Chirac will feel quite comfortable when as President of the EU he speaks in the new European tongue. Foreign words will not be incorporated into Eurolanguage lest they taint it.
You are being cynical right? The only reason French could become the Eurolanguage, is because they refuse to speak a word english..
 
  • #5
GENIERE
What? Cynical? Me? Utter contempt would be more descriptive.

In any case it seems Poland and Spain will veto the new “rules” so you can put your fears on ice for the time being.

If the EU wishes to provide a fair means of government, it need to only look back a few hundred years in history. The founding fathers of the USA suffered the same problem as the EU has today; provide a system of government that does not disadvantage the less populous and less wealthy states. The Us Constitution has allowed the US to become the greatest nation that has ever existed. Will the EU’s? I doubt it?
 
  • #6
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
The Us Constitution has allowed the US to become the greatest nation that has ever existed.
And that out of the mouth of an American.. :P
 
  • #7
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by Monique
And that out of the mouth of an American.. :P
really.. you believe that?
 
  • #8
374
2
Originally posted by GENIERE
What? Cynical? Me? Utter contempt would be more descriptive.

In any case it seems Poland and Spain will veto the new “rules” so you can put your fears on ice for the time being.

If the EU wishes to provide a fair means of government, it need to only look back a few hundred years in history. The founding fathers of the USA suffered the same problem as the EU has today; provide a system of government that does not disadvantage the less populous and less wealthy states. The Us Constitution has allowed the US to become the greatest nation that has ever existed. Will the EU’s? I doubt it?
Your American Constitution ran to about a page. Our 'new European' one is 265 pages long and dictates in great detail what member states can or cannot do. Basically, if that Idiot Blair signs us up for it this weekend, we have no rights left to control our own destiny.

The EU stinks. It is corrupt, rewards the incompetent, destroys world trade in agriculture and is both anti american and anti free trade. The auditors have refused to pass the EU's accounts for the last nine years running, due to a total failure to account for where the money went. And they want control of our Currency!!!
Enron is a model in honesty and efficiency compared to the EU.

Last week EU regulations made the production of children's rocking horses illegal if they were higher than 66cm. What is this to do with a free trade union? It will close many traditional craft businesses in the UK and for what?

Our fishing waters were handed over to the EU as a 'Common European Resource' - what happened? Our industry decimated, huge Spanish fleets overfished everywhere, and a collapse in fish stocks. Great.

This new 'Constitution' allows the EU to dictate to us on Energy resources. Hey, guess what - we've got oil in the UK. That will soon go the same way as the fish.

Pah!
 
  • #9
GENIERE
Monique:
Originally posted by GENIERE
The Us Constitution has allowed the US to become the greatest nation that has ever existed.
And that out of the mouth of an American.. :P

really.. you believe that?
No, I don’t believe it. I should have restricted it to our solar system.
 
  • #10
GENIERE
Adrian:

Your American Constitution ran to about a page. Our 'new European' one is 265 pages long and dictates in great detail what member states can or cannot do. Basically, if that Idiot Blair signs us up for it this weekend, we have no rights left to control our own destiny.
That lengthy document attempts to encode all possible circumstances of human existence and will doom the EU to failure under a quasi-socialist government. Each and every law, each and every regulation is an infringement on personal liberty.
Accumulation of wealth by the average citizen cannot occur without a strong capitalistic economy in place. There is no successful socialist economy, has never been, will never be.

With the dismal failure of the economies of “old Europe” one would think the citizens would weary of socialist propaganda.

Countries like France, Germany, and Belgium have terribly high un-employment, stagnant or negative growth, failing pension plans, and the list goes on. Attendant to that is a rise in bigotry the average “white” citizen who is looking for someone to blame. Compare that to the US positive 8%+ growth rate and 5.8% unemployment. Although Britain has suffered under the labor party economic policies, it has had a positive growth for 45 consecutive quarters and 3% unemployment.

As for Tony Blair, most Americans and I greatly admire him, not for his socialist ideals but for his steadfast support. Blair and Clinton are much alike in that they are superb liberal politicians. Blair, unlike Clinton, is a principled person
 
  • #11
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
No, I don’t believe it. I should have restricted it to our solar system.
That just sounds wrong, the US might be the most powerfull but it certainly is not the greatest. I don't think there is any country that is the greatest since that is simply not possible in politics, striving to be the greatest has always led to many conflicts.
 
  • #12
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
There is no successful socialist economy, has never been, will never be.
Really, you probably don't read the Economist. In 2002 they had a 20 or so page article on the Dutch 'polder model' saying: "For two decades, the Netherlands' “polder model” seemed to be working miracles." trying to dissect what made it so popular and how other countries could learn from it. Ofcourse times have changed now and things are not so glorious anymore.
 
  • #13
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
Countries like France, Germany, and Belgium have terribly high un-employment, stagnant or negative growth, failing pension plans, and the list goes on. Attendant to that is a rise in bigotry the average “white” citizen who is looking for someone to blame. Compare that to the US positive 8%+ growth rate and 5.8% unemployment. Although Britain has suffered under the labor party economic policies, it has had a positive growth for 45 consecutive quarters and 3% unemployment.
Again, don't forget The Netherlands. Our unemployment rate is only 4%, for more economic fact turn to the http://www.economist.com/countries/Netherlands/profile.cfm?folder=Profile-Economic Data"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #14
GENIERE
Again, don't forget The Netherlands. Our unemployment rate is only 4%, for more economic fact turn to the Economist fact.

Really, you probably don't read the Economist. In 2002 they had a 20 or so page article on the Dutch 'polder model' saying: "For two decades, the Netherlands' "polder model" seemed to be working miracles." trying to dissect what made it so popular and how other countries could learn from it. Of course times have changed now and things are not so glorious anymore.
It would be difficult to find an industrialized nation that did not fair well during the early 1980’s to 2000, particularly those that were in dire straits previously as was your country. To attribute the “success” of the Netherlands’s economy to the Poulder plan is unrealistic. One can make a strong case that the plan hindered growth. The plan was modified continuously over the years to promote business while reducing the working class “safeguards”. I did not include the Netherlands in my comments re: unemployment as the figure is disingenuous. To my knowledge 30% of those employed work on a temporary or part-time basis. This allows your government to claim deflated unemployment figures. You will note that your government and your neighboring country’s governments all attempt to improve economies by the only sound method. That method includes tax breaks for the individual (including the wealthy), tax breaks for businesses, and privatization. In other words they rely on capitalistic measures while denying it.
 
  • #15
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Originally posted by GENIERE
I did not include the Netherlands in my comments re: unemployment as the figure is disingenuous. To my knowledge 30% of those employed work on a temporary or part-time basis. This allows your government to claim deflated unemployment figures.
You have got a good point. 30% sounds awfully high to me, unrealistic. And how is the situation in other countries.
 
  • #16
GENIERE
In truth the 30% figure was cited in an article I stumbled across probably a year or so ago. I’m reasonably certain of the figure. Empirically, the low unemployment percentage of 4% does not fit with a stagnant economy but does fit with many people working lesser hours. It’s kind of a sorry situation in my opinion.

The percentage was purported to be much higher than the rest of Europe, the US, Canada, and Mexico.
 

Related Threads on Power distribution in EU

  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
4K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
71
Views
5K
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
5K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
Top