Power of Elevator Motor at Cruise Speed

In summary, the elevator starts from rest and accelerates upward for 3 seconds until it reaches a cruising speed of 1.75 m/s. The average power of the elevator motor during this period can be calculated using the average velocity and the force provided by the motor, while the motor power at cruising speed is equal to the weight of the elevator times its velocity. The correct calculations for part (a) and (b) are provided in the attempt at a solution, however, the exact answer for part (b) may vary depending on the specific values used in the problem.
mkwok
First of all, I know I've posted this already, but I didn't really understand the reply. I tried going back to the thread, but I can't find it anymore.

Homework Statement

A 750 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 3.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s.
(a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period?
(b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its cruising speed?

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=FV

The Attempt at a Solution

(a), since it was asking for the "average" power, so I thought I'd take the average velocity for my equation
so Force = ma = 750*(1.75/3)
and P= 750*(1.75/3)*(1.75/2) = 382.81
However, that is the wrong answer
so I tried it again.. may be I used the wrong numbers? This time I did the following:
Force = ma = 750*(9.8)
and P= 750*(9.8)*(1.75/2) = 6431.25
However, this is still wrong
what am I missing?

(b) I think I am stuck on this part because I don't fully understand part a... but I was actually thinking that may be the power of done by the elevator at cruising speed would just be
P=Fv=mgv = 750*9.8*1.75 = 12862.5
this is definitely wrong because I typed it into my online hw, and it told me its wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
ok wait...The resultant force acting on the elevator is upwards...the only forces acting to provide this are the upward force of the elevator,[itex]F_E[/tex] and the downward force of the elevator(it's weight,[itex]W[/itex]). So that the resultant force,[itex]F_R[/itex] moves upward for 3.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75ms[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
1.75/2 because it started at rest where Vi=0, and vf=1.75
so the average would be 1.75/2

mkwok said:
First of all, I know I've posted this already, but I didn't really understand the reply. I tried going back to the thread, but I can't find it anymore.

Homework Statement

A 750 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 3.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s.
(a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period?
(b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its cruising speed?

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=FV

The Attempt at a Solution

(a), since it was asking for the "average" power, so I thought I'd take the average velocity for my equation
so Force = ma = 750*(1.75/3)
and P= 750*(1.75/3)*(1.75/2) = 382.81
However, that is the wrong answer
so I tried it again.. may be I used the wrong numbers? This time I did the following:
Force = ma = 750*(9.8)
and P= 750*(9.8)*(1.75/2) = 6431.25
However, this is still wrong
what am I missing?

(b) I think I am stuck on this part because I don't fully understand part a... but I was actually thinking that may be the power of done by the elevator at cruising speed would just be
P=Fv=mgv = 750*9.8*1.75 = 12862.5
this is definitely wrong because I typed it into my online hw, and it told me its wrong
It's unfortunate that you couldn't find your first post buried on page 3 a moment ago, because you practically had the correct answer by correctly calculating the work done by the motor, then you forgot to divide the work by the time (3 seconds) to get the average power delivered by the motor. Anyway, now you have chosen wisely to determine the average power using the motor force times the average velocity, however, you are now incorrectly using the net force acting on the elevator, when instead, you should be using the force provided by the motor, [tex]F_m[/tex], where [tex]F_{net} = F_m - mg [/tex]. For part b, your answer appears correct, because at cruise speed, the motor force must equal the weight (per Newton 1), so I don't know why the computer doesn't like your answer.

What is the definition of power done by an elevator?

The power done by an elevator is the amount of energy that the elevator uses to move a certain mass from one level to another within a specific period of time. It is usually measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

How is the power done by an elevator calculated?

The power done by an elevator can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the elevator (measured in Newtons) by the speed at which it moves (measured in meters per second). This calculation gives the power in watts, and can be converted to kilowatts by dividing by 1000.

What factors affect the power done by an elevator?

The power done by an elevator is affected by several factors, including the mass of the elevator itself, the mass of the objects being transported, the speed at which the elevator moves, and the distance it travels. In addition, the efficiency of the elevator's motor and the friction within the elevator system can also impact the power done by the elevator.

How does the power done by an elevator impact energy consumption?

The power done by an elevator directly affects energy consumption, as it represents the amount of energy being used to move the elevator. The higher the power done by the elevator, the more energy it consumes. This is why elevators are designed to be as efficient as possible to minimize energy usage.

Can the power done by an elevator be reduced?

Yes, the power done by an elevator can be reduced in a few ways. One way is to make the elevator more efficient, by using energy-saving technologies and materials. Another way is to reduce the weight being transported by the elevator, which can be achieved by limiting the number of passengers or using lighter materials. Additionally, implementing regenerative braking systems can help to reduce the power done by an elevator by capturing and reusing energy that would otherwise be lost during braking.