1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power draw of a spherical conductor surrounded by an insulator & a conducting shell

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spherical conductor of radius a is surrounded by a spherical conducting shell of radius b, and the gap is filled with an insulating material of resistivity ρ. A thin wire connects the inner surface of the shell to the surface of the conductive sphere, and a potential of V is applied to the outer surface of the conducting shell.

I. Determine the current drawn from the voltage source.
    II. Integrate the power density (σE2) over the insulator volume v and compare to the power drawn from the voltage source.

2. Relevant equations

dR = ρ dr / 4πr2
    i = V / R
    E = ρ J = -[itex]\partial[/itex]V/[itex]\partial[/itex]r
    Pdissipative = I2R
    P/v = σE2
    V = -∫E dot dr

3. The attempt at a solution

Part I was fairly straightforward. I found R by integrating from b to a (because the current travels inward from b) and got

R = ρ (b - a) / 4πab

which yielded

i = 4πVab / ρ(b - a)

Part II is giving me fits, however. The power drawn from the voltage source is just I*V. To get the power from the power density σE2 I would need to find an expression for E. Since E is in the same direction as the radial displacement vector r,

V = -∫E dr = -Er, evaluated over the limits of integration (from b to a, in this case).

I have a feeling that this is the route I need to take, but I'm not sure where to take it from there. I also considered using

E = ρJ = ρ(i/A)

but am also not sure where to take that... I figure I would need to find a function J(r) since the current density is r-dependent. (Current is constant over an r-dependent geometry.)
    Anyone who can help me with this, or give a hint as to the right direction, would be doing me a huge favor.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    Re: Power draw of a spherical conductor surrounded by an insulator & a conducting she

Bump for the morning crowd.

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3
    Re: Power draw of a spherical conductor surrounded by an insulator & a conducting she

Okay, so I think I've made some progress, and I'd really appreciate if someone could check my thought process here. Some notes I've made and thoughts I've had since I posted the thread:
    • I'll also use U to represent volume, since V is already taken and there's no potential-energy function at play here.
    • [itex]J = di/dU[/itex]
    • [itex]E = \rho J[/itex]

Since I found earlier that [itex]dR = dr/4\pi r^{2}[/itex], we have

[itex]i = V/R = 4\pi V ab/\rho(b-a)[/itex]

and

[itex]di/dr = 4\pi\sigma Vr[/itex]

So now we can use [itex]J = di/dU = \frac{4\pi\sigma Vr dr}{4\pi r^{2} dr} = \sigma V/r[/itex]

and thus,

[itex]E = J/\sigma = \sigma V/\sigma r = V/r[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]E^{2} = V^{2}/r^{2}[/itex]

which we sub into the equation

[itex]dP/dU = \sigma E^{2} \Rightarrow dP = \sigma E^{2} dU = V^{2}/r^{2} * \sigma * 4 \pi r^{2} dr = 4 \pi\sigma V^{2} dr[/itex]

Integrating dP with respect to r, we conclude that

[itex] P = \int ^{b}_{a} 4\pi\sigma V^{2} dr = 4\pi\sigma V^{2}r |^{b}_{a}[/itex]

When evaluated, this yields

[itex]P = 4\pi\sigma V^{2}(b - a)[/itex]

as our answer for the integral of the power-density function over the insulator volume.

To compare to the power that is dissipated as heat by the insulator, we simply need to take a straightforward approach:

[itex] dP = V di \Rightarrow P = \int^{b}_{a} V di = \int^{b}_{a} 4\pi\sigma V^{2} dr = 4\pi\sigma Vr |^{b}_{a}[/itex]

When evaluated, this yields

[itex]P = 4\pi\sigma V^{2}(b - a)[/itex]

demonstrating that the power expenditure is equivalent using either method of calculation.

So what do you folks think? Did I do it right? Any glaring errors I should know about? :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with your result for i, but disagree with your power result. For starters, the "straightforward result" would simply use P=iV, using the expression you already got for i. (No integration required.)

I think you went awry in coming up with an expression like

[tex]\frac{di}{dr} = 4 \pi \sigma Vr[/tex]

as if i were a function that changes with r. But i is actually a constant expression.

I like that approach better. A would be the surface area of a sphere of radius r that the current is flowing through. That would make E2=____?, then you can integrate the power density over the entire volume between r=a and r=b.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

Oh. Duh. Thanks, I have this habit of assuming everything is supposed to be a screwball and whatnot because my professor has a proclivity for that kind of thing. And so I overcomplicate things sometimes. :(

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

So for clarity's sake, whatever i is, I treat it as a constant instead of trying to find a differential charge, and set A = the area at an arbitrary radial distance r and just end up dividing i/4pi r^2 to get J?

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, correct.

9. Oct 8, 2011 #8

Thanks so much for that. So from there I would just take E (= [itex]\rho[/itex]J), square it, multiply by sigma, and evaluate the integral

P = ∫[itex]\sigma[/itex]E2*4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2dr

leaving the a's and b's in the current function as a's and b's instead of being silly and trying to find them as functions of r.

Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook