Power Electronics, transistors

In summary, the conversation is discussing an exercise involving a transistor acting as a chopper and the necessary calculations to determine power loss. The person asking the question is unsure what type of chopper to assume, but is advised to use figures 1 and 2 in their calculations. The necessary steps for calculating power loss are outlined, including the use of frequency and duty cycle in part B, computing the integral in part C, and considering switching losses in part F. Ultimately, the type of chopper is not as important as having the necessary figures to complete the calculations.
jas1991
Hi,

I'd need some help regarding some parts of an exercise (attached below). The question is that they make me assume that the tranistors is working as a chopper, so then I have many things to calculate. The question is, which kind of chopper should I assume?

Thanks in advance.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/331/powerelectronics.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A. You can't compute the power loss without knowing the frequency f or duty cycle d. f isn't mentioned until part B and d in part D.

The ENERGY lost per cycle is just E = ∫Vidt. Use Fig. 1 to compute that integral (there are five regions of integration; add 'em up).

B. P = E/T where T = 1/f

C. Once the inductor current is constant, what is the voltage across the load? The current? Ergo, the resistive load?

D. This also requires several integrations. Power is almost d*Vd*I0 but not quite.

E. (P in load - P lost in switch)/(P in load)

F. Look at fig. 1 and think about the two things you must have to generate switching losses.

Try to go from there ...

I didn't answer your question, did I.

But that's because you don't need to know what kind. All you need is fig. 1 (and I guess fig.2, though it's a crummy equivalent ckt IMHO.

1. What is power electronics and how does it differ from regular electronics?

Power electronics is a branch of electronics that deals with the conversion and control of electric power. It differs from regular electronics in that it focuses on high power and high voltage applications, while regular electronics deal with low power and low voltage circuits.

2. What are transistors and how do they work in power electronics?

Transistors are electronic devices that can amplify and switch electrical signals. In power electronics, they are used as switches to control the flow of power in a circuit. They work by controlling the flow of electrons between two terminals, known as the source and the drain, using a third terminal called the gate.

3. What are the different types of transistors used in power electronics?

There are three main types of transistors used in power electronics: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs), metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs), and insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs). Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages and is used in different applications depending on the requirements.

4. How are transistors used in power electronics to control the flow of power?

In power electronics, transistors are used as switches to control the flow of power in a circuit. By applying a small control signal to the gate terminal, the transistor can either allow or block the flow of electrons between the source and drain terminals. This allows for precise control over the amount of power flowing through the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of power electronics and transistors?

Power electronics and transistors are used in a wide range of applications, including power supplies, motor control, renewable energy systems, electric vehicles, and more. They are also used in consumer electronics such as computers, televisions, and smartphones, as well as industrial equipment like welding machines and variable speed drives.