1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Electronics, transistors

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'd need some help regarding some parts of an exercise (attached below). The question is that they make me assume that the tranistors is working as a chopper, so then I have many things to calculate. The question is, which kind of chopper should I assume?

Thanks in advance.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/331/powerelectronics.png [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A. You can't compute the power loss without knowing the frequency f or duty cycle d. f isn't mentioned until part B and d in part D.

The ENERGY lost per cycle is just E = ∫Vidt. Use Fig. 1 to compute that integral (there are five regions of integration; add 'em up).

B. P = E/T where T = 1/f

C. Once the inductor current is constant, what is the voltage across the load? The current? Ergo, the resistive load?

D. This also requires several integrations. Power is almost d*Vd*I0 but not quite.

E. (P in load - P lost in switch)/(P in load)

F. Look at fig. 1 and think about the two things you must have to generate switching losses.

Try to go from there ...

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't answer your question, did I.

But that's because you don't need to know what kind. All you need is fig. 1 (and I guess fig.2, though it's a crummy equivalent ckt IMHO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook