Solving Power Energy Problem: Inclined Plane 30 Degrees, 6.4m Long

In summary, the solution to this problem involves using energy considerations to find the time it takes for a book, with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.2, to slide down an inclined plane at 30 degrees and a length of 6.4m. This can be done by setting the initial potential energy equal to the final kinetic energy plus the work done by friction and using equations for velocity, acceleration, and distance. However, it may also be possible to solve this problem using energy or power alone.
deviantdevil
Q: An inclined plane at 30 degrees is 6.4m long. A book, which has a kinetic coefficient of friction with the incline of 0.2, is placed at the top and immediately begins to slide. Using energy considerations, how long will it take for the book to reach the bottom of the incline?

my solution is as follows:

6.4mg(sin(30))=0.5mv^2+0.2mg(cos(30))6.4
cancel out m and find v.
use vf^2=vi^2+2ad to find a
use d=vit+0.5at^2 to find t.

i think this solution works, but as you can see, it doesn't really "use energy considerations"...
any idea how i should go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
deviantdevil said:
i think this solution works, but as you can see, it doesn't really "use energy considerations"...

What did you use to get this line: "6.4mg(sin(30))=0.5mv^2+0.2mg(cos(30))6.4"

It looks to me like: initial potential energy = final kinetic energy + work done by friction
Why do you not consider that using energy arguments?

i assumed the question to be asking for a solution that only requires energy arguments. as you can see, i go into Newtonian mechanics in the latter part of the solution. Is there a way to solve this question using energy/power alone?

What is an inclined plane and how does it relate to power energy problems?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is essentially a flat surface tilted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by spreading the weight of the object over a longer distance. In power energy problems, inclined planes are often used to demonstrate the concept of work, which is the product of force and distance.

What is the significance of the angle of 30 degrees in the problem?

The angle of 30 degrees is important because it determines the ratio of the height to the length of the inclined plane. In this problem, the angle of 30 degrees indicates that for every 1 meter of horizontal distance, there is 0.58 meters of vertical height. This ratio affects the amount of force needed to lift an object up the inclined plane.

How do you calculate the work done on an object using an inclined plane?

The equation for work is work = force x distance. In this problem, the force is equal to the weight of the object being lifted, and the distance is the length of the inclined plane. To calculate the work done, you would multiply the weight of the object by the length of the inclined plane.

How does the length of the inclined plane affect the amount of work done?

The longer the inclined plane, the less force is required to lift an object up the plane. This is because the longer distance allows the weight of the object to be spread out, reducing the force needed to lift it. So, in this problem, a longer inclined plane of 6.4 meters would require less work than a shorter one of, say, 3.2 meters.

What are some real-life applications of inclined planes in solving power energy problems?

Inclined planes are used in everyday life in various forms, such as ramps, stairs, and even wheelchair ramps. They are also used in industrial settings to move heavy objects or materials. In power energy problems, inclined planes are used to demonstrate the principles of work and the conservation of energy. They are also used in engineering to design machines and structures that require less force to lift or move objects.