What Is the Average Power Output of a Race Car's Motor During Acceleration?

In summary, a 1250-kg race car accelerates from rest to 30.0m/s in 4.00s on a horizontal surface with no friction. The average power output of its motor must be 141kW. This can be calculated using the formula P=E/t, where P is power, E is energy, and t is time. By substituting the given values for mass, acceleration, and time, we get a power output of 35156.25W, which is equivalent to 141kW.
k0k
A 1250-kg race car accelerates uniformly from rest to 30.0m/s in 4.00s on a horizontal surface with no friction. What must be the average power output of its motor? (Ans:141kW)

--
P=E/t
F=ma
Ek=1/2mv^2

--

P=E/t
P=Ek/t
=(.5X1250kgX15.0m/s^2) / (4.00s)
=35156.25 W

How exactly do I start this off? I assume that the change in energy should be kinetic only, right?.

Physics news on Phys.org
k0k said:
A 1250-kg race car accelerates uniformly from rest to 30.0m/s in 4.00s on a horizontal surface with no friction. What must be the average power output of its motor? (Ans:141kW)

--
P=E/t
F=ma
Ek=1/2mv^2

--

P=E/t
P=Ek/t
=(.5X1250kgX15.0m/s^2) / (4.00s)
=35156.25 W

How exactly do I start this off? I assume that the change in energy should be kinetic only, right?.

I think you would have had the correct answer had you not replaced the given 30 m/s with 15 m/s.

OH, okay got it now. : D
Thanks

1. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power refers to the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. It is measured in watts (W) and represents the amount of energy used per unit of time. Energy, on the other hand, is the total amount of work that can be done by a system. It is measured in joules (J) and is the product of power and time.

2. How are power and energy related?

Power and energy are closely related as power is the rate at which energy is being used or transferred. This means that the higher the power, the more energy is being used or transferred in a given amount of time. Similarly, the longer the duration of use, the more energy will be consumed.

3. What are some common power and energy problems?

Some common power and energy problems include calculating the power or energy consumption of an appliance, determining the cost of energy usage, and finding the most efficient way to transfer energy from one source to another.

4. How can we reduce power and energy problems?

There are several ways to reduce power and energy problems, including using energy-efficient appliances, switching to renewable energy sources, and reducing overall energy consumption through conservation and smart energy management practices.

5. What role does power and energy play in sustainability?

Power and energy are crucial factors in sustainability as they impact our environment, economy, and society. By reducing our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and promoting the use of sustainable energy, we can help mitigate the negative effects of climate change and create a more sustainable future for all.