Is there a power-energy relationship between matter and energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass and energy, and whether there is a direct power-energy relationship. It is suggested that in a lossless environment, no power is expended to keep an object moving at constant speed. The conversion of mass to energy may not be instantaneous, leading to a discussion on the meaning of power in this scenario. It is also mentioned that while power can be calculated using a propagation rate or reaction rate, it may not be a useful measure.
danielu13
I was looking at the mass-energy relationship equation, which by taking the derivative I would think that you you should get a power-energy relationship. What I get is:

[itex]P = \frac{mc^2}{2\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}*2a[/itex]

If this were to be true, a particle without acceleration would have no power, and thus release no energy. Or, it could be that all of the energy is instantaneously released and shows no power. Can someone help me where I went wrong in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You figured correctly: no power is expended to keep an object moving at constant speed in a lossless environment.

But is there any way of figuring the power produced by the destruction of mass, as in the mass-energy relationship?

No, it depends on how fast it is produced.

So the conversion between matter and energy is not instantaneous then?

If it was, there would be infinite power for an infinitely short time.

Conversion of mass to energy means the mass would no longer exist.

When a photon is emitted, it does not accelerate, it moves at c instantaneously.

My guess is that the consideration of power in this case is not meaningful.

danielu13 said:
I was looking at the mass-energy relationship equation, which by taking the derivative I would think that you you should get a power-energy relationship. What I get is:

[itex]P = \frac{mc^2}{2\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}*2a[/itex]

A power energy relationship is time.

The derivative would be a power vs mass relationship.

I do find it an interesting thought.

danielu13 said:
So the conversion between matter and energy is not instantaneous then?
On a molecular or atomic level I think it is -- therefore power is meaningless because as said it would be infinite or undefined.

I have, however seen people calculate power using a propagation rate or reaction rate of even a very fast reaction such as in a bomb. It provides interesting hyperbole but I don't think it is really all that useful.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is expended or consumed, while energy is the capacity to do work. In simple terms, power is the amount of energy used per unit of time.

2. How are power and energy related?

Power and energy are related through the equation: Power = Energy / Time. This means that power is directly proportional to energy, and the amount of power used determines the amount of energy consumed.

3. How does the power-energy relationship affect our daily lives?

The power-energy relationship plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it is the basis for many everyday activities. From turning on a light bulb to driving a car, we use and consume energy at different rates, which is determined by the power we use.

4. What units are used to measure power and energy?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), while energy is measured in joules (J). However, larger units such as kilowatts (kW) and kilojoules (kJ) are commonly used to express power and energy in everyday life.

5. How does the power-energy relationship apply to renewable energy sources?

The power-energy relationship is crucial in understanding and harnessing renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. These sources generate electricity at different power outputs, and understanding their power-energy relationship helps in designing efficient and sustainable energy systems.