Power Engineering Exam Practice Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to electrical engineering. The first question involves calculating rotational speed and voltage for a motor, the second question involves using equations to find power and power factor in a circuit, the third question involves determining the number of turns and current in a transformer, and the fourth question involves synchronizing a generator with a grid and adjusting power factor. The conversation also mentions the importance of working with a partner and seeking help for difficult problems.
gl0ck
Hello, I've solved some questions for my exam tomorrow. Since I do not have any answers to the questions, could you please confirm if it is correct?
I have questions on the last problem. Also I will post more questions, just I am working on them now.
ProblemsPE_zpsra9ymf0w.jpg

Question 1:
a) [itex] 6 Pole ->3 pairs. N_{speed} = 1000 rpm;
w_r = w_o (1-s)
w_r = 950 rpm
[/itex]
b)
[itex]V_a = E + R_a x I_a -> E = 205V at 1000 rpm [/itex]
[itex] at 1100 rpm E = \frac{1000}{1100} x 205 = 186V [/itex]
[itex]So,~ from~the~formula~for~V_a~we~get,~ 220 = 186 + I_a x 0.5 -> I_a = 67.27 [/itex]

c)
Switches are put on the Live wire, then when it is open the load is connected to the neutral line (0v) , so anyone touching it would NOT get a shock.
If the switch is on the neutral wire, then when it is open the load is connected to the live wire, so anyone touching it would get a shock.

Question 2:
Using the equation
[tex] S = Pcos(\theta)~ and~ Q = Ptan(\theta)[/tex]
a)
i)Total Real Power = [tex]9kW+20kW+12kW = 41kW[/tex]
ii)[tex]2.96kVAr+9kVAr = 11.96kVAr
iii) [tex] S = \sqrt{41^2+11.96^2} = 42.7kVA [/tex]
iv) [tex] S = VxI[/tex] So, [tex] I = 185.7A[/tex]
v) Total power factor [tex] \frac{kW}{kVA} = \frac{41}{42.7} = 0.96[/tex]

b)
[tex]Q = \frac{V^2}{Xc}[/tex] [tex]Xc = 0.01923 Ohms [/tex][tex] C = 166μF[/tex]
c)
Here I have some ideas, but the value for P gets really big so I am confused if it correct. If we use the same equation from the beginning of the question [tex]Q = Ptan(\theta), P = 685kW[/tex] compared to 41kW .

d)
Capacitors are used to supply reactive power Q locally, rather than deliver it from the source over the transmission and distribution network. This reduces transmission losses and voltage drops.

Question 3:

c) [tex]\frac { V_2}{V_1} = \frac{N_2}{N_1} = 11 000 x N_1 = 230 x 3000 ~->~ N_1 = 63~ turns[/tex]
d) Here I don't know how to find the [tex]I_L[/tex] and [tex]I_{phase}[/tex]
the only thing that I can relate is the fact that the primary has delta connection, so [tex] I_L = \sqrt{3}I_{phase} [/tex]
Which means that the line currents of secondary and primary should be the same and just the Phase current of the primary will be different -> 34.64 A

Question 4:
To synchronise, the generator voltage must have the same magnitude, frequency and phase as the grid.
It has to be speed up to the 375rpm,
And then increase the field current If until the generator output = 11 kV (line). [Note that the generator is open circuit at this stage, therefore E = Vgenerator = 11 kV.] Check for correct phase, then close circuit breaker S1 to connect to grid. The generator is now synchronised, but no power is being transferred yet.

b)
By the angle between phase voltage and phase EMF.

I have similar example in the notes but it uses the 11kV as a Line voltage, which doesn't make any sense to me. Why should they ask to calculate it, when it is given. It must be something else.
d) the power factor can be adjusted by [tex]I_f[/tex]Any feedback is much appreciated!
Thank you !

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-14_16-50-1.png
    upload_2015-5-14_16-50-1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A better approach is to work with another student in your class, each solving some of the problems and swapping answers with the other. Only post to PF about those one or two problems that neither of you can solve.

1. What is power engineering?

Power engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power. It involves the design, operation, and maintenance of power plants, transmission lines, and distribution systems to ensure a reliable and efficient supply of electricity to consumers.

2. What are the different types of power plants?

There are several types of power plants, including thermal, hydroelectric, nuclear, and renewable energy plants. Thermal power plants use fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas, or oil to generate electricity. Hydroelectric power plants use the energy of moving water to turn turbines and generate electricity. Nuclear power plants use nuclear reactions to generate heat and produce electricity. Renewable energy plants, such as solar, wind, and geothermal, use natural resources to generate electricity.

3. How does electricity get from power plants to our homes?

Electricity is transmitted through a series of high-voltage transmission lines, which carry it from power plants to local distribution substations. From there, the electricity is distributed to homes and businesses through a network of lower-voltage distribution lines.

4. What is the role of a power engineer?

A power engineer is responsible for designing, operating, and maintaining power generation, transmission, and distribution systems. They also troubleshoot and fix any issues that may arise in these systems to ensure a continuous supply of electricity to consumers.

5. How does power engineering contribute to sustainable energy?

Power engineering plays a crucial role in the development of sustainable energy sources. By designing and implementing renewable energy systems, power engineers help reduce reliance on fossil fuels and decrease harmful emissions. They also work to improve the efficiency and reliability of power systems, reducing waste and promoting sustainable energy practices.