1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Power Engineering

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    What are the benefits of this career (particularly in comparison to hardware/RF engineering career)?

I understand that engineers working in National (edit: provisional. I meant those government ones) power companies are paid good and the jobs are more stable/secure.

Currently, I am interested in computer engineering because there are more opportunities. Unlike power engineering, you have more options.

Looking at salary, security, opportunities, and future, how power engineering jobs (i.e. job in a national power company) are compared to other kind of computer engineering jobs?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

With respect to power companies, it depends on the nation and economy.

Top US nuclear power generator Exelon cuts 500 jobs
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090618/bs_afp/usnuclearcutscompanyexelon_20090618212622 [Broken]

With the economic downturn, utility companies try to eliminate jobs, which means those remaining have to do more work without an increase in salary, wages or benefits. Most people I know at utilities are overworked.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook