Calculate "a" in c=sum_i( ( p(i)^a ) * b(i) ) / sum_i( p(i)^a )

• Thread starter dalves
  • Start date
In summary, the equation given is used to calculate "a" given that "c", "0 <= p(i) < 1", and "b(i)" are known. However, without further data, it is not possible to calculate "a" analytically.
dalves
In the following equation:

c = sum_i( ( p(i)^a ) * b(i) ) / sum_i( p(i)^a )

"c", "0 <= p(i) < 1" and "b(i)" are known.
How do I calculate "a"?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dalves said:
In the following equation:

c = sum_i( ( p(i)^a ) * b(i) ) / sum_i( p(i)^a )

"c", "0 <= p(i) < 1" and "b(i)" are known.
How do I calculate "a"?

It's really hard to understand what you really meant without LaTeX, but if you meant

[itex]\displaystyle{c=\frac{\sum p_i^a b_i}{\sum p_i^a}\Longrightarrow \sum p_i^a(c-b_i)=0}[/itex] ...and this is as far as I can go without any further data.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
It's really hard to understand what you really meant without LaTeX, but if you meant

[itex]\displaystyle{c=\frac{\sum p_i^a b_i}{\sum p_i^a}\Longrightarrow \sum p_i^a(c-b_i)=0}[/itex] ...and this is as far as I can go without any further data.

DonAntonio

That is correct, I totally agree. The only further data is that "b(i)", "0 <= p(i) < 1" and "c" are known. I was hoping to be able to calculate "a" ... analytically.

What is the purpose of this equation?

The purpose of this equation is to calculate the value of "a" in a given formula, where "c" represents the total sum of a series of values multiplied by a set of coefficients, and "p(i)" and "b(i)" represent specific values and coefficients within the series.

What do the different variables in this equation represent?

In this equation, "a" represents the unknown variable that we are trying to solve for, "c" represents the total sum of the series, "p(i)" represents the values within the series, and "b(i)" represents the coefficients corresponding to each value in the series.

How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in scientific research to determine the optimal value of "a" in a given formula. This can be applied to various fields such as statistics, economics, and physics, where "a" represents a specific parameter that affects the overall outcome of the formula.

What is the significance of the sum of p(i)^a in this equation?

The sum of p(i)^a in this equation is important as it represents the cumulative effect of all the values in the series raised to the power of "a". This helps to determine the overall influence of "a" on the final outcome of the formula.

What are some potential limitations of using this equation?

One limitation of this equation is that it assumes a linear relationship between the values and coefficients in the series. Additionally, it may not accurately represent real-world scenarios that involve complex and nonlinear relationships between variables.