1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Power factor at half power points for RLC circuit

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    Can anyone help me with this homework problem? I worked it through, but the answer i get doesn't agree with the answer the book gives. I'll include my work, and if anyone can help, I'll be eternally grateful, at least for a while.

The Problem:

In a series RCL circuit the dissapated power drops by a factor of two when the frequency of the generator is changed from the resonant frequency to a nonresonant frequency. The peak voltage is held constant while this change is made. Determine the power factor of the curcuit at nonresonant frequency.​

My Work:

[tex]P_r = 2 P_{nr}[/tex]
    [tex]P = I * V * \cos \phi[/tex]
    [tex]\phi = \arctan \frac{X_L - X_C}{R} [/tex]
    At resonant frequency, [itex]X_L - X_C = 0[/itex]
    [tex]I * V * \cos ( \arctan \frac{X_L-X_C}{R} ) = 2 * I * V \cos (\arctan\frac{X_L-X_C}{R})[/tex]
    [tex]I * V * \cos ( \arctan (0)) = 2 * I * V \cos (\arctan\frac{X_L-X_C}{R})[/tex]
    [tex]I * V * \cos (0) = 2 * I * V \cos (\phi)[/tex]
    [tex] 1 = 2 \cos (\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]\cos \phi = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

This seems correct to me, but the book says the answer is [itex]\frac{\sqrt {2}}{2}[/itex]

Am I mistaking the "Factor of two" part of the problem? Does this really mean that the power is squared?

If anybody can help, thanks. On a sidenote, LaTeX is very nice, if a bit tedious to write in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A complete solution is offered.

At resonance the current is in phase with the voltage source, and the power factor is 1. In that case the power dissipated is simply

##P_o = \frac{V^2}{R}~~~##where ##R## is the circuit resistance and ##V## the fixed voltage.

We are looking for the power factor for the situation where the dissipated power drops by a factor of two. That is,

## P = \frac{P_o}{2} = \frac{V^2}{2R}##

Off-resonance there will be a net reactance, X. We won't worry about the individual reactances of the inductance and capacitance, only their net effect. Let:

##Z = R + j X## be the impedance at the off-resonance frequency.

Then the complex power (apparent power) for the circuit is given by:

##p = V~I^* = V ⋅ \frac{V}{(R + jX)^*} = V^2 \frac{R + jX}{R^2 +X^2}##

where ##I^*## means the complex conjugate of ##I##.

Now, the real power dissipated is the real component of the complex power. Setting this equal to our desired value:

##\frac{V^2}{2R} = V^2 \frac{R}{R^2 +X^2}##

Solving for the reactance we find that ##X = R##. This means that the impedance has a value ##Z = R (1 + j)##, which has a phase angle of 45°. The current, which is V/Z will have an angle of -45°. The cosine of -45° is ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##, so that is the power factor.

Note that the reactance could be positive or negative (net inductive or net capacitive reactance), and that the power factor will be the same since ##~~~cos(-45°) = cos(45°) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##.

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    Here's my two cents..
    At resonance,
    Pr=VIr..(cosΦ=1)
    At non-resonant frequency,
    Pnr=VInrcosΦ
    But Pr=2Pnr
    So,
    VIr=2VInrcosΦ
    ∴Ir=2InrcosΦ
    ∴V/R=2*(V/Z)cosΦ
    ...(R remains same in both the cases)
    ∴Z/R=2cosΦ
    Since R/Z is cos Φ, we can directly write,
    2cos2Φ=1
    ∴cosΦ=1/√2=0.7071
    (=√2/2 as given in the answer)

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

gneill

Nice. That works. It's great to see variations!

6. Aug 22, 2016 #5
    Why do you set ##I=\frac{V}{R-JX}## instead of ##\frac{V}{R+JX}## In other words, why use the complex conjugate and not Z as it is?

7. Aug 22, 2016 #6

gneill

Because the complex power is given by ##P = V I^*##. See, for example: An Introduction to Electric Circuit Theory by G. Williams, section 5.8. Since the V that we are using here is purely real, the way to form the complex conjugate is to change the sign of the imaginary term in the impedance in the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted