Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power factor for transformers

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    I have read that transformers operate on high power factor but I cannot get what is the reason behind it..?? I mean..what if we are having a low power factor..how is that going to affect the working of transformer??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2
    PF depends on leakage inductance of xfm and the load itself.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    but what's the reason behind high pf??

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4
    relatively small leakage inductance of xfm + operation near rated load point

6. Dec 20, 2014 #5
    actually I have studied that pf is inversely proportional to the current...so I was seeing whether this thing point is the reason..??

7. Dec 20, 2014 #6
    The no-load transformer p.f. is low [approx.0.1]. However, a transformer does not change much the load p.f.Since the active no-load power and reactive no-load power are low the load power factor [at full load] does not decrease more than 2% [usually].
    Of course, if the load will be low the p.f. could decrease more [up to 0.1 at no-load!].

8. Dec 21, 2014 #7
    Another extreme case is a short circuit case where I>>Inom. PF also low.

9. Dec 21, 2014 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's a bit ambiguous question.
    I'd suggest the source from which you extracted that tidbit was suggesting that it is usual practice to use power transformers at reasonably highPF because:
    Z of transformer is largely inductive
    Draw your phasors..
    When PF of load is unity,what is phase angle between applied voltage and I X Z drop in transformer?
    When PF of load is zero, what is that angle?

At high PF your transformer I X Z drop is at right angle to applied voltage so doesn't change it much, because the hypotenuse and long side of a right triangle are nearly the same when vertex angle is small. That's elementary geometry.
    At zero PF that I X Z drop Is in phase with applied voltage and subtracts or adds to it volt for volt.

So you'll get better regulation with a load having reasonably high PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook