1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power found from Trimmer

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The head of a grass string trimmer has 100 g of cord wound in a light, cylindrical spool with inside diameter 3.00 cm and outside diameter 18.0 cm as shown in the figure below. The cord has a linear density of 10.0 g/m. A single strand of the cord extends 16.0 cm from the outer edge of the spool.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p10-50.gif

When switched on, the trimmer speeds up from 0 to 2 300 rev/min in 0.210 s. What average power is delivered to the head by the trimmer motor while it is accelerating?

2. Relevant equations
    I = Icm + MD^2
    1/2 m (R1^2 + R2^2)

P = 1/2 I ωf^2

3. The attempt at a solution

can't figure out a exact one :(

please help explain the work you did to find the answer because I can't get this one at all

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The average power is the total work done divided by the time it took.

4. Mar 20, 2014 #3
    that is true but this is the formula i derived but i hope its right

I = m*[L^2/12 + (R2 + L/2)^2]

then plug that into power formula

P = 1/2* I * ωf^2/ Δt

the issue is what should L in both parts of the I equation? I know R2 is 0.17 m / 2 to get .085 radius

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The equations are meaningless without the reasoning.

What is R2 supposed to represent. What is L supposed to represent?
    Some radius and some angular momentum sure - but of what? Or is L some length?

It helps to troubleshoot your equations if you are clear about what each of the letters means.
    It's a good discipline for you when you troubleshoot yourself too and it is worth marks in an exam.

Lets see... You will certainly need the moment of inertia of the trimmer-head...
    How are you modelling that? You've not said.

Guessing: Looks like you are modelling it as just a rod length L - rotating about a pivot displaced from com by the outer radius of the hoop and half the length of the rod. Is that all there is to the trimmer head?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted