Power in Circuit: Calculating Output of 12V Supply

In summary, the designer of a heating element for a car's rear window connected six separate heating elements with a resistance of 6.0Ω each to a 12V dc supply with zero internal resistance. The total power output of the circuit was found to be 36W. When the resistors were connected in series, the total power output decreased to 4W. This is because the power output of a circuit is dependent on the resistive load and not just the voltage of the supply.
nokia8650
The designer of a heating element for the rear window of a car decides to connect six separate
heating elements together as shown in Figure 2. Each element has a resistance of 6.0Ω and the
unit is connected to a 12V dc supply having zero internal resistance. See: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7709/cirrg6.th.jpg

In order to calculate the power output of the cicuit, I found the current in one of the resistors (1A), and using P=(I^2)R, found the power output of each resistor to be 6W. 6*6 = 36W for total power output.

I was then asked to compare what would happen if the resistors were in series, which I found Total R = 36 ohms, therefore current = 12/36 = 1/3A. Again, using P=(I^2)R, I found the total power output to be 4 W.

My question is, are the calculations above correct, and if so, how come the output of a supply is varied by the contents of the circuit?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct. Realize that while the battery provides a fixed voltage, the amount of power delivered depends on the resistive load. (The maximum current that the battery can put out is limited.) This should make some sense: What about when you disconnect the circuit? Does the power keep getting drawn? (Disconnecting the circuit is the same as inserting an infinite resistor across the battery.)

Ah yes, thank you. So when a battery is short-circuited, is the current flowing very high (ie. towards infinity), resulting in very high power disspation?

Thanks

Right!

1. How do I calculate the output power of a 12V supply?

To calculate the output power of a 12V supply, you will need to use the equation P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. In this case, V = 12V, so you will multiply 12V by the current in amps to determine the output power.

2. Can I use any formula to calculate the output power of a 12V supply?

Yes, as long as you have the necessary values for voltage and current, you can use the formula P = VI to calculate the output power of a 12V supply. This formula is based on Ohm's Law, which states that voltage, current, and resistance are all related in a circuit.

3. What unit is used to measure output power?

Output power is typically measured in watts (W). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in kilowatts (kW) or milliwatts (mW), depending on the power of the circuit.

4. How does the output power of a 12V supply affect the overall performance of a circuit?

The output power of a 12V supply directly impacts the performance of a circuit. The higher the output power, the more energy is being supplied to the circuit, which can increase its efficiency and functionality. However, using too much power can also cause damage to the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the output power of a 12V supply?

The output power of a 12V supply can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the power supply, the resistance in the circuit, and the load being powered. It is important to consider these factors when calculating and using the output power of a 12V supply to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.