1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power in circuits

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    In the circuit, E, R1 and R2 have constant values. However R has a variable value. FInd an epxression for R that results in the max power dissipation in that resistor.
    so do i do this
    [tex] i_{1} = i + i_{2} [/tex]
    [tex] E - i_{1} R_{1} - i_{2} R_{2} = 0[/tex]
    [tex] E - i_{1} R_{1} - iR = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] i_{2} R_{2} - iR = 0 [/tex]
    not too sure about the last one...
    and the power dissipation in that resitor is given by [tex] P = i^2 R [/tex] But to find the max power dissipation do i plug that expression for i back into the above expression and then differentiate OR sub i into this
    [tex] \frac{dP}{dR} = 2iR + i^2 [/tex]
    i used a sample value for i and got different values for the derivative. Which is correct?
    Please help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should use your Thevenin equivalent and Norton equivalent for this one - unless they're making you do this using differentiation and limits at least once just to make sure you truly appreciate Thevenin and Norton equivalents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?