Find Max Power Dissipation in Circuits with Variables

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding an expression for R in order to achieve maximum power dissipation in a variable resistor in a circuit. It was suggested to use Thevenin and Norton equivalents, but differentiation and limits can also be used. There was uncertainty on which approach was correct and the use of sample values was mentioned.
stunner5000pt
In the circuit, E, R1 and R2 have constant values. However R has a variable value. FInd an epxression for R that results in the max power dissipation in that resistor.
so do i do this
[tex] i_{1} = i + i_{2} [/tex]
[tex] E - i_{1} R_{1} - i_{2} R_{2} = 0[/tex]
[tex] E - i_{1} R_{1} - iR = 0 [/tex]
[tex] i_{2} R_{2} - iR = 0 [/tex]
not too sure about the last one...
and the power dissipation in that resitor is given by [tex] P = i^2 R [/tex] But to find the max power dissipation do i plug that expression for i back into the above expression and then differentiate OR sub i into this
[tex] \frac{dP}{dR} = 2iR + i^2 [/tex]
i used a sample value for i and got different values for the derivative. Which is correct?
Please help!

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should use your Thevenin equivalent and Norton equivalent for this one - unless they're making you do this using differentiation and limits at least once just to make sure you truly appreciate Thevenin and Norton equivalents.

To find the maximum power dissipation in the resistor, we need to maximize the power equation, P = i^2R. This can be done by taking the derivative of P with respect to R and setting it equal to 0. So, we have:

\frac{dP}{dR} = 2iR + i^2 = 0

Solving for R, we get:

R = -\frac{i}{2}

Substituting this value back into the original power equation, we get:

P = i^2 \left(-\frac{i}{2}\right) = -\frac{i^3}{2}

To find the maximum power dissipation, we need to find the maximum value of i. Since E, R1, and R2 are constant, the current i will be maximum when R is minimum. Therefore, to maximize power dissipation, we need to have R = 0. This means that the maximum power dissipation will occur when the resistor is short-circuited.

In conclusion, to find the maximum power dissipation in the circuit, we need to short-circuit the variable resistor R. This will result in the expression for R that results in the maximum power dissipation being R = 0.

1. What is power dissipation in a circuit?

Power dissipation in a circuit refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat within a circuit. It is typically measured in watts and is caused by the resistance of components within the circuit.

2. How do I calculate power dissipation in a circuit with variables?

The formula for calculating power dissipation in a circuit with variables is P = I^2 * R, where P is power (in watts), I is current (in amps), and R is resistance (in ohms). You will need to know the values of current and resistance in order to use this equation.

3. What are some common variables that affect power dissipation in a circuit?

The most common variables that affect power dissipation in a circuit include current, resistance, and voltage. Other factors such as temperature, type of material used, and circuit design can also impact power dissipation.

4. How can I reduce power dissipation in a circuit?

There are several ways to reduce power dissipation in a circuit. One option is to use components with lower resistance, as this will decrease the amount of energy converted into heat. Another option is to decrease the current flowing through the circuit. Additionally, using materials with higher thermal conductivity and implementing effective cooling methods can also help reduce power dissipation.

5. Why is it important to find the maximum power dissipation in a circuit?

Finding the maximum power dissipation in a circuit is important because it ensures that the components within the circuit are not being pushed beyond their limits. By knowing the maximum power dissipation, you can select appropriate components and design the circuit in a way that avoids overheating and potential damage to the components.