Power in delevering electricity to a factory

In summary, by using the equations P=I^2R and V=IR, we can find the initial current being delivered to the circuit. To determine how much power is wasted, we use the result of the first problem and solve for the current using P=RI^2. By changing the voltage and repeating the process, we can compare the amount of power lost at different voltages.
melissa_y
A power station delivers 513kW of power to a factory through wires of total resistance of 2.72Ohm. How much less power is wasted if the electricity is delivered at 45200V rather than 13900V?

I have no idea where to even begin except that I should find the intial current which is found by equation P=I^2R

Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
you can also use the fact of p = I^2R = V^2 / R

Voltage is equal to: V=IR

So, if the power is equal to [tex]P=RI^2[/tex], then it's also equal to [tex]P=VI[/tex]

The current being delivered to the circuit comes from the Power and Voltage relationsip.

To find how much power is lost, you have a new problem that uses the result of the first (you had to solve for I). You use the [tex]P=RI^2[/tex] to find out how much power is dissipated by the wire.

Change the value of the voltage and repeat. Compare the two results.

What is the most efficient way to deliver electricity to a factory?

The most efficient way to deliver electricity to a factory is through a direct connection to the power grid. This eliminates the need for transformers and reduces energy loss during transmission.

What is the role of voltage in delivering electricity to a factory?

Voltage is an important factor in delivering electricity to a factory. High voltage is used for long-distance transmission to reduce energy loss, while lower voltage is used for distribution within the factory.

How does the distance between the power source and the factory affect the delivery of electricity?

The distance between the power source and the factory can have a significant impact on the delivery of electricity. Longer distances result in higher energy loss and may require additional infrastructure, such as transformers, to maintain the voltage level.

What are the potential challenges in delivering electricity to a factory?

Some challenges in delivering electricity to a factory include power outages, equipment failure, and voltage fluctuations. These can be mitigated through regular maintenance and proper monitoring of the power supply system.

How does renewable energy play a role in delivering electricity to a factory?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, can be used to deliver electricity to a factory. This can reduce the reliance on traditional energy sources and help to lower the carbon footprint of the factory.