How does a transformer regulate power between its different sides?

In summary, side A supplies a constant power to side B, but this power is not constant because different resistances on side B would create different amounts of power needed. Side B "tells" side A how much power is needed by using the magnetic field.
myself
Let's say that there is a transformer with 10 loops on one side (side A) and 100 loops on the other (side B). If ther is a rms 10V potential difference produce by a generator on side A, then there would be a rms 100V potential difference on side B. It would seem like the resistance through the wire on side A is constant. Since rms voltage is constant, the rms current should be constant as well. Therefore, it would seem like the rms power supplied by the generator is constant. However, different resistances on side B would cause different amounts of power to be needed by side B. Because energy is conserved, power supplied by the generator is equal the power wanted by side B. Therefore, the rms power supplied by the generator is not constant. So how does side B "tell" side A how much power it wants?

Attachments

• transformer.gif
    transformer.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer is through the magnetic field.

Current on side A creates a magnetic field that induces a current in side B.

The AC power supply on side A is fixed at 10V rms but will then provide what ever current is necessary to provide 10V rms on side A and 100 rms on side B.

Too elicit more responses you may want to explain what you have already figured out or talk through what you have found to work.

I guess I wasn't very clear at first. First of all, this isn't really a homework problem, but I found a section about transformers in the textbook, and I didn't find the explanation comopletely helpful.

I couldn't figure out how side A knew how much current to "send" to side B. I know how much current is sent, but I cannot figure out how side B "tells" side A how much power is needed.

I think that this is probably something to do with inductance and back EMF, and that side B would only take a portion of the energy in the magnetic field. Then, there would be some back EMF in side A, which means side A would send less current, until a balance is reached. However, I am very unsure about this, and I am still confused.

1. What is the definition of power in a transformer?

Power in a transformer refers to the rate at which energy is transferred between the primary and secondary coils. It is measured in watts (W) and is the product of the voltage and current in the respective coils.

2. How is power efficiency calculated in transformers?

Power efficiency in transformers is calculated by dividing the output power (in watts) by the input power (in watts). This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, which represents how much of the input power is actually being transferred to the load.

3. What factors affect the power losses in transformers?

The major factors that affect power losses in transformers include the resistance of the coils, the magnetic properties of the core material, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the transformer.

4. Can the power rating of a transformer be increased?

Yes, the power rating of a transformer can be increased by either increasing the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils or by using a core material with higher magnetic permeability. However, this may also result in increased power losses and decreased efficiency.

5. How does the power factor of a transformer impact its performance?

The power factor of a transformer is a measure of the phase difference between the voltage and current in the coils. A lower power factor indicates a higher reactive power, which can lead to increased power losses and decreased efficiency in the transformer. Therefore, it is important to design transformers with a high power factor to ensure optimal performance.