1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power irradiance

1. Jul 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    30idtmc.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the expression for the magnetic field, and then the Poynting vector.
    2nu6e6u.jpg

If i find the intensity, that's the same as finding the average value of the Poynting vector, and the cos^2 disappears... Can you tell me what to do next?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #2
    Bump Bump. Does anyone know what to do next?

4. Jul 3, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please observe the Forum Rule regarding bumping.

Bumping
    Do not "bump" one of your threads to the top of a forum's thread list by posting a basically empty message to it, until at least 24 hours have passed since the latest post in the thread; and then do it only once per thread.​

5. Jul 3, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does the Poynting vector tell you about the wave's intensity? What are it's units?

How is the speed of light, c, related to ε0 and μ0 ?

6. Jul 4, 2015 #5
    I wasn't aware of that rule, thank you for pointing it out.
    The intensity is the mean value of the Poynting vector. The units of the Poynting vector are W.m^-2, the same for intensity..
    I can use the retation c=1/sqrt(ε0*μ0), and therefore reducing 1/cε0 = sqrt(ε0/μ0). What should i do next?

Thanks for your reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted