Power Law Distribution

• Thread starter Tejay
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi All,

After reading some books on how stock market returns are better modelled by a power law distribution, I wanted to play with some data based on this.

When using some software and or doing it myself on excel, I can generate one tail, but not two.

This is what I would like my data to look like;

04107-exhibit_01.gif

Does anyone know how to do this?

As you might have gathered, I am well out of my depth here. Just looking to tinker with the data for fun.

Answers and Replies

Welcome to PF!

Here's an article on using power laws in finance with pointers to other related articles which may be a good start:

http://physicsoffinance.blogspot.com/2011/12/power-laws-in-finance.html

There are also several papers on this very topic that you can find via Google that I didn't include here because they may be too technical.

With respect to your question though: Can you describe what you mean by one tail vs two tails? is this a limitation of your data or the choice of parameters for your power law graph?

Thanks for the quick reply.
That article is exactly what I am trying to do.

What I meant by one tail is I can calculate say a graph like this for the positive returns;

550plain-power-law.jpg

But I am not sure of the formula I need to use to get the overall distribution or bell shape.

Even better, if this is called a particular distribution I would prefer to generate the graph in a software package. I downloaded Easyfit 5.5, but the power law distribution produces what I am describing as a "one tail" distribution such as the image above and not like the image in my original post.

statdad
Homework Helper
Excel is the worst tool available for anything statistical. You could try "R" - a powerful yet free statistical software package. I believe (based on memory from a year or so ago) that there is even a package for R that will aid in generating the type of distribution you want.