Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Law from ODE

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to find a power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate, given that each of these quantities is defined by a differential equation.

Assuming dM/dt=a*M(t) and dR/dt=b*R(t), where M(t) is mass and R(t) is metabolic rate, I know that I can solve each of these equations to get:
    M(t)=c*exp[at] and R(t)=k*exp[bt].

Here is where the first part of my question comes in: Let's say I try to solve both of these for t, and then set them equal to each other. Then I end up with a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K) where C and K are different constants than before, but that's not really important. Is solving for t and setting equal allowed? I'm not sure if I'm looking at a specific time where the two equations are equal in this case, but I can't think of any other way to get rid of the variable.

Otherwise, I would think of dividing the two equations and getting M(t)/R(t)=h*exp[(a-b)t] where h is, again, a new constant that is unimportant. In this case, M=h*R*exp[(a-b)t]... which is different than when I eliminate t.

In either case, I don't see a power law relationship! These are exponential, and not power law, equations unless I'm very mistaken. How can I get to the final product to see the power law in play?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks to me that c and k are the same as before, but a and b are inverted.
    Seems good to me. Why do you think it's invalid? You want to know the relationship between M and R at each given value of t.
    You don't?
    a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K)
    ln((M/C)a)=ln((R/K) b)
    (M/C)a=(R/K) b

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much! Silly me- I was exponentiating both sides without bringing the constants into the log.

I was unsure about solving for t because it seemed like I'm setting the two sides equal to each other for all t while they might not always be equal.

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    Just divide one differential equation by the other to eliminate the dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook