How Much Power is Lost in a Copper Wire in a Series Circuit?

In summary, a 200m long copper wire with a cross section area of 1.5mm2 is connected in a series circuit with a 10Ω resistor. The power loss in the wire can be found by calculating the resistance of the wire using the given resistivity value, and finding the current using the supply voltage and the total resistance. The power loss can then be calculated using the formula P=I2R. The final result should be 1067.62 watts, accounting for the wire resistance and the 10Ω resistor in series.
chawki

Homework Statement

A 200m long copper wire, with cross section area of 1.5mm2, is connected with a 10Ω resistor in a series circuit, and the supply voltage is 50V.

Homework Equations

Find the power loss in the copper wire, when ρ=0.0175 Ωmm2/m

The Attempt at a Solution

R=*L/A
P=V2/R
P=502/(0.0175*(200/1.5))
P=1068.37 Watt.

Physics news on Phys.org
chawki said:

Homework Statement

A 200m long copper wire, with cross section area of 1.5mm2, is connected with a 10Ω resistor in a series circuit, and the supply voltage is 50V.

Homework Equations

Find the power loss in the copper wire, when ρ=0.0175 Ωmm2/m

The Attempt at a Solution

R=*L/A
P=V2/R
P=502/(0.0175*(200/1.5))
P=1068.37 Watt.

The voltage supply is across the wire AND the resistor (they are in series), not just the wire.

yeah i think i made a mistake :/ but we don't have I

chawki said:
yeah i think i made a mistake :/ but we don't have I
Then you need to find out what the current, I, is.

What is the resistance of the copper wire?

I=50/2.34=21.36Amperes

P=2.34*(21.36)2
P=1067.62 watt

somehow it looks the same answer as the one posted in post #1

chawki said:
I=50/2.34=21.36Amperes

P=2.34*(21.36)2
P=1067.62 watt

somehow it looks the same answer as the one posted in post #1

You still haven't accounted for the 10 Ω resistance that's in series with the wire.

Also, your wire resistance should be 2.333 Ω to three decimals, not 2.34; I know it's being picky, but early rounding of intermediate results can muck up final results when there are multiple steps. It's good to get into the habit of keeping a few extra digits of accuracy in intermediate results, and round final results.

1. What causes power loss in copper wire?

Power loss in copper wire is caused by the resistance of the wire. As electricity flows through the wire, it encounters resistance, which results in some of the energy being converted into heat. This heat energy is what causes power loss in the wire.

2. How does the length of copper wire affect power loss?

The longer the length of copper wire, the higher the resistance and therefore the greater the power loss. This is because the electricity has to travel a longer distance, encountering more resistance along the way. As a result, longer copper wires will have a higher power loss compared to shorter wires.

3. Does the thickness of copper wire impact power loss?

Yes, the thickness of the copper wire, also known as the gauge, can impact power loss. Thicker wires have a lower resistance and therefore a lower power loss compared to thinner wires. This is because thicker wires have more space for the electricity to flow, reducing the amount of resistance encountered.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and power loss in copper wire?

The higher the voltage, the higher the power loss in copper wire. This is because higher voltage results in a higher current, which leads to more energy being converted into heat due to resistance. Therefore, it is important to consider the voltage when determining the appropriate gauge of copper wire to use to minimize power loss.

5. How can power loss in copper wire be reduced?

To reduce power loss in copper wire, the most effective way is to use thicker wires with a lower gauge. This will decrease the resistance and therefore the power loss. Additionally, using shorter wires or increasing the voltage can also help reduce power loss. Proper maintenance and ensuring the wire is not damaged can also help minimize power loss.