Power Map

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm a bit confused as to how the text Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, by Bishop and Goldberg on page 6.

The authors define the term power set as follows

The authors define the term power map as follows

If f: A -> B, the we define the power map of f, f: PA -> PB by fC = {fc| fa is an element of C} for every C which is an element of PA}

What is confusing to me is that nowhere in the definition does the set B occur. What role does B have in the power map?

Thank you

Pete

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

The authors define the term power map as follows

If f: A -> B, the we define the power map of f, f: PA -> PB by fC = {fc| fa is an element of C} for every C which is an element of PA}

What is confusing to me is that nowhere in the definition does the set B occur. What role does B have in the power map?

I think your definition of the power set is a bit off here. Given a mapping f:A->B, where A and B are arbitrary sets, the power map is given by

f(C)={f(c): c is an element of C} for any subset C of A.

The sets A & B are just given sets. The power map is simply the concept that, if you are given a mapping from one set to another, A to B, then this mapping can be used to construct a mapping on the power set of A & B, i.e., one that sends each subset of A to some subset of B.

I think your definition of the power set is a bit off here. Given a mapping f:A->B, where A and B are arbitrary sets, the power map is given by

f(C)={f(c): c is an element of C} for any subset C of A.

The sets A & B are just given sets. The power map is simply the concept that, if you are given a mapping from one set to another, A to B, then this mapping can be used to construct a mapping on the power set of A & B, i.e., one that sends each subset of A to some subset of B.
Thanks. But the set B does not appear in the definition of the power map, hence my question.

Pete

Thanks. But the set B does not appear in the definition of the power map, hence my question.
Well, it is there, even if it isn't specifically stated. For any subset C of A and any element c of C, f(c) will be an element of B (since f is a given function from A to B); and hence the image of the subset f(C) will be a subset of B. Hence, the power map is indeed a mapping from the power set of A to the power set of B.