1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Map

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    I'm a bit confused as to how the text Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, by Bishop and Goldberg on page 6.

The authors define the term power set as follows

The authors define the term power map as follows

If f: A -> B, the we define the power map of f, f: PA -> PB by fC = {fc| fa is an element of C} for every C which is an element of PA}

What is confusing to me is that nowhere in the definition does the set B occur. What role does B have in the power map?

Thank you

Pete

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

I think your definition of the power set is a bit off here. Given a mapping f:A->B, where A and B are arbitrary sets, the power map is given by

f(C)={f(c): c is an element of C} for any subset C of A.

The sets A & B are just given sets. The power map is simply the concept that, if you are given a mapping from one set to another, A to B, then this mapping can be used to construct a mapping on the power set of A & B, i.e., one that sends each subset of A to some subset of B.

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks. But the set B does not appear in the definition of the power map, hence my question.

Pete

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    Well, it is there, even if it isn't specifically stated. For any subset C of A and any element c of C, f(c) will be an element of B (since f is a given function from A to B); and hence the image of the subset f(C) will be a subset of B. Hence, the power map is indeed a mapping from the power set of A to the power set of B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?