1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power measurements?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    I am a little confused on the difference between statements of electrical output when the talk of gigawatts or gigawatt hours?

for the formula P=ghrk
    where P is power in kilowatts
    g is gravity (9.8) constant
    r is flow of say water per second
    k is efficiency coefficient

say g=9.8 , r = 10, k =.75

thus P=1470 kilowatts , that is 1.47 megawatts.... what is the variable needed to get the kilowatt hours or mega watt hours?? Can someone give me a website?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    oh really? that simple? i feel stupid.

so i take the 1470 kw and multiply it by 60seconds * 60 minutes? = 5292000 kwH? that's it?

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, you multiply it by 1 hour. 1.47 megawatts for one hour is 1.47 megawatt-hours.

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … that's 1470 kwH, isn't it? :rolleyes:

it's 5292000 kJ :wink:

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6
    Personally, I've always hated the term "Kilowatt-hour".

It's no different from measuring distance in "Miles per hour-hours".

8. Nov 20, 2009 #7
    Hate is a pretty strong emotion for a unit :wink:. Kw-hr, Btu, joules, ergs, MeV, take your pick. The 'nice' thing about kW-hr is that it gets across the idea of power applied for a specified duration (I think that's why it seems applicable or natural to electrical distribution uses.

9. Nov 20, 2009 #8
    Okay. I will.

I [STRIKE]hate[/STRIKE] dislike Kw-hr for the reason I already stated, though I admit it could be useful in industrial applications.

I dislike Btu because people use it as a measure of power and energy. Minus points in my book.

I dislike ergs because it doesn't do anything that scientific notation can't do.

I like Joules and eV. Normally, I try to speak exclusively in terms of SI units, but I like eV because its definition is simple, it's useful, and the conversion to joules isn't 'pretty'.

For some reason, I've always been really picky about units. I realize I'm hard on them :)

You should have seen the grief I gave my chemistry prof when he wrote a conversion from pounds to kilograms on the board...

10. Nov 20, 2009 #9
    I think when people use Btu for power they are really using Btu/hr; it's just that the 'per hour' is silent. But that's not the unit's fault.

I'm stuck using Btu and kW-hr in my work. We also use 'pounds' (both kinds) and have to keep our factors of 32 straight. If you don't know what that means, count yourself lucky and move on.

I dislike Btu because there's more than one definition! You will see conversion factors of 3412 Btu/kW-hr, 3413 Btu/kW-hr even 3415 ! It took me awhile to figure out that like the 'calorie,' there's more than one 'Btu.' Recall that a Btu is the heat to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit; the problem is, water at, say, 32 deg F takes a different amount of heat than water at 68 F, etc. (not a constant specific heat value).

I hope this isn't too far afield of the original post.

11. Nov 20, 2009 #10
    Unfortunately... yea, I follow you... I work for a company that designs temperature-controlled showcases for grocery stores.

12. Nov 20, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

More fun:

MBH is 1000 BTU per hour, but
    kWh is 1000 Watts for an hour!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook