Power Measurements: G, R, K for KW & MWh

In summary, the different terms for electrical output are watt, watt hour, and kilowatt hour. The watt is the power in kilowatts, the watt hour is the energy in kilowatt hours, and the kilowatt hour is the amount of power applied for one hour.
gloo
I am a little confused on the difference between statements of electrical output when the talk of gigawatts or gigawatt hours?

for the formula P=ghrk
where P is power in kilowatts
g is gravity (9.8) constant
r is flow of say water per second
k is efficiency coefficient

say g=9.8 , r = 10, k =.75

thus P=1470 kilowatts , that is 1.47 megawatts... what is the variable needed to get the kilowatt hours or mega watt hours?? Can someone give me a website?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh really? that simple? i feel stupid.

so i take the 1470 kw and multiply it by 60seconds * 60 minutes? = 5292000 kwH? that's it?

No, you multiply it by 1 hour. 1.47 megawatts for one hour is 1.47 megawatt-hours.

gloo said:
… so i take the 1470 kw and multiply it by 60seconds * 60 minutes? = 5292000 kwH? that's it?

Nooo … that's 1470 kwH, isn't it? :rolleyes:

it's 5292000 kJ :wink:

Personally, I've always hated the term "Kilowatt-hour".

It's no different from measuring distance in "Miles per hour-hours".

Archosaur said:
Personally, I've always hated the term "Kilowatt-hour".

It's no different from measuring distance in "Miles per hour-hours".

Hate is a pretty strong emotion for a unit :wink:. Kw-hr, Btu, joules, ergs, MeV, take your pick. The 'nice' thing about kW-hr is that it gets across the idea of power applied for a specified duration (I think that's why it seems applicable or natural to electrical distribution uses.

gmax137 said:
...Kw-hr, Btu, joules, ergs, MeV, take your pick...

Okay. I will.

I [STRIKE]hate[/STRIKE] dislike Kw-hr for the reason I already stated, though I admit it could be useful in industrial applications.

I dislike Btu because people use it as a measure of power and energy. Minus points in my book.

I dislike ergs because it doesn't do anything that scientific notation can't do.

I like Joules and eV. Normally, I try to speak exclusively in terms of SI units, but I like eV because its definition is simple, it's useful, and the conversion to joules isn't 'pretty'.

For some reason, I've always been really picky about units. I realize I'm hard on them :)

You should have seen the grief I gave my chemistry prof when he wrote a conversion from pounds to kilograms on the board...

Archosaur said:
I dislike Btu because people use it as a measure of power and energy. Minus points in my book.

I think when people use Btu for power they are really using Btu/hr; it's just that the 'per hour' is silent. But that's not the unit's fault.

I'm stuck using Btu and kW-hr in my work. We also use 'pounds' (both kinds) and have to keep our factors of 32 straight. If you don't know what that means, count yourself lucky and move on.

I dislike Btu because there's more than one definition! You will see conversion factors of 3412 Btu/kW-hr, 3413 Btu/kW-hr even 3415 ! It took me awhile to figure out that like the 'calorie,' there's more than one 'Btu.' Recall that a Btu is the heat to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit; the problem is, water at, say, 32 deg F takes a different amount of heat than water at 68 F, etc. (not a constant specific heat value).

I hope this isn't too far afield of the original post.

gmax137 said:
I'm stuck using Btu and kW-hr in my work. We also use 'pounds' (both kinds) and have to keep our factors of 32 straight. If you don't know what that means, count yourself lucky and move on.

Unfortunately... yea, I follow you... I work for a company that designs temperature-controlled showcases for grocery stores.

More fun:

MBH is 1000 BTU per hour, but
kWh is 1000 Watts for an hour!

1. What is the difference between G, R, K for KW & MWh?

The letters G, R, and K are prefixes that represent different units of measurement. G stands for giga, which is equivalent to one billion. R stands for tera, which is equivalent to one trillion. K stands for kilo, which is equivalent to one thousand. KW stands for kilowatt, which is a unit of power, while MWh stands for megawatt-hour, which is a unit of energy.

2. How are G, R, K for KW & MWh used in power measurements?

G, R, K for KW & MWh are used to represent large values in power measurements. For example, a power plant may generate 1 gigawatt (G kW) of power in one hour, which would be equivalent to 1,000 megawatt-hours (MWh) of energy.

3. What are the advantages of using G, R, K for KW & MWh in power measurements?

The use of G, R, K for KW & MWh makes it easier to represent and compare large values in power measurements. It also helps to avoid writing out long numbers, making it more convenient and efficient for scientists and engineers to work with.

4. Are there any other units of measurement for power and energy?

Yes, there are other units of measurement for power and energy. Some common ones include watts (W) for power and joules (J) for energy. However, G, R, K for KW & MWh are often used for larger values in power measurements.

5. How are G, R, K for KW & MWh related to the metric system?

G, R, K for KW & MWh are prefixes that are part of the metric system, which is a system of measurement based on powers of ten. This system is used in many countries around the world and is the standard for scientific measurements.