Complex Number Exponentiation: Finding the Power of z^23 for z = 1+1

In summary, a complex number is a number with both a real and imaginary component, written in the form a + bi. The power of a complex number is the result of raising it to an exponent, calculated using the distribution property and the definition of i. Some properties of the power of a complex number include the reciprocal rule and the zero exponent rule. It is commonly used in scientific fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics, particularly in AC circuits, electromagnetic waves, and signal processing.
Ry122
Im trouble getting the correct answer for z^23 where z=1+1
The answer in the back of the book says its 2^16e(i8pie)
But z=|z|^(n)e(i(n)theta) Therefore the hypotenuse which is 2^(1/2) when multiplied by 23
should be 2^(23/2) not 2^(16)

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, of course. I don't know from where the book got 216.

… 32 ≠ 23 …

Ry122 said:
Im trouble getting the correct answer for z^23 where z=1+1
The answer in the back of the book says its 2^16e(i*pie)

Hey guys!

It's obviously z^32 … :rolleyes:

(btw, if you type alt-p, it prints π)

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has both a real and an imaginary component. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

What is the power of a complex number?

The power of a complex number is the result of raising the complex number to a certain exponent. This can be done using the same rules as for real numbers, but with the addition of using the definition of the imaginary unit i.

How is the power of a complex number calculated?

To calculate the power of a complex number, you can use the formula (a + bi)^n = (a + bi)(a + bi)...(a + bi), where n is the desired exponent. You can then use the distributive property and the definition of i to simplify the expression and get the final result.

What are some properties of the power of a complex number?

Some properties of the power of a complex number include the fact that the power of a complex number to a negative exponent is equal to the reciprocal of the complex number raised to the positive exponent. Additionally, the power of a complex number to a zero exponent is equal to 1.

How is the power of a complex number used in science?

The power of a complex number is used in various scientific fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used in calculations involving alternating current (AC) circuits and electromagnetic waves. It also has applications in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics, among others.