1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a ferris wheel

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A motor keep a Ferris wheel (with moment of inertia 6.22 × 107 kg · m2) rotating at 14 rev/hr. When the motor is turned off, the wheel slows down (because of friction) to 9.3 rev/hr in 28 s.
    What was the power of the motor that kept
    the wheel rotating at 14 rev/hr despite fric-
    tion?
    Answer in units of W.

2. Relevant equations
    W=(1/2)Iw(f)^2-(1/2)w(i)^2
    P=Tau*w

w= angular momentum
    3. The attempt at a solution

I really want to use the first equation to solve for work but I am unsure if I can use the angular momentum values that are given or if I need to convert them

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The angular momentum values are not given. But you need angular velocities, so determine them from the given rev/hour values.

ehild

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I meant angular velocities, its been a long day.

So I would calculate each of those values by 2 pi and stick them into the top formula?

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to calculate the revolutions per second then multiply by 2pi to get the angular velocity.

By applying your first equation, you get the change of KE.

The change of KE equals to the work done. You have to determine the power.
    Power is work divided by time.

ehild

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    I ended up with -1848547.342 for work. This is what I did

((.5)*(6.22*10^7)*(.01623156^2))-((.5)*(6.22*10^7)*(..24434051^2))

After dividing by the 28s it gave me a very large negative number that was wrong.

7. Apr 12, 2010 #6
    I thought maybe I only had to do half of the first equation since it did not ask for the change in power from the 2 speeds. So I did W=(1/2)Iw(i)^2 and then divided it by the 28s. This was also wrong

8. Apr 12, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get for the starting w? ..24434051looks a bit weird.

You get negative value for difference of the energies as it is the work of the friction: it decreases the energy. Using the motor, its keeps the KE constant if it yields the same power that is lost because of friction. So you need to input a positive power value. Start with recalculating the w-s.

A few kW is not a big power. That of a simple heater or water boiler is about 1 kW. And a Ferris Wheel is usually quite big.

ehild

9. Apr 12, 2010 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get for the starting w? ..24434051looks a bit weird.

You get negative value for difference of the energies as it is the work of the friction: it decreases the energy. Using the motor, its keeps the KE constant if it yields the same power that is lost because of friction. So you need to input a positive power value. Start with recalculating the w-s.

A few hundred watt is not a big power. That of a simple heater or water boiler is about 1 kW=1000 W. And a Ferris Wheel is usually quite big.

ehild

10. Apr 12, 2010 #9
    I took my starting revolutions per hour (14rev/hr) and converted it to be .0038888 rev/sec. I then multiplied it by 2pi to get .24434051

11. Apr 12, 2010 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is 0.02443... You missed a zero.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook