1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a pump

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water is pumped steadily out of a flooded basement at a speed of 5.0 m/s through a uniform hose of radius 1.0 cm. The hose passes out through a window 3.0m above the waterline. What is the power of the pump?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually correctly solved the problem by taking advantage of the fact that
    [tex] P = \frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t }[/tex] which for us is [tex] P = \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t} (gh + \frac{1}{2}v^{2})[/tex]

My question is, if the force applied is constant, why can't I use [tex] P = \frac{F\Delta d}{\Delta t} [/tex] since it's a simple matter of finding the force and [tex]\frac{\Delta d}{\Delta t} = v[/tex] is given.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    hello duke, i think the force F you specify cannot be found without using Bernoulli equation. :smile:
  4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I had actually found the force using an equation that is only good for static fluids, I'm going to see if using Bernoulli gets me the same result both ways. Thanks :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?