Power of a Sawtooth Function

In summary: This is why you need to use the second formula, where the period is finite and the limits are from -T/2 to T/2. In summary, the method for calculating the power of a sawtooth function is different from that of a sinusoid. For a sawtooth function, you must use the second formula with a finite period and limits from -T/2 to T/2, as the amplitude of the function grows with time. This will give you a finite power value, unlike the first formula which gives an infinite value due to the infinitely long period.
salman213
1. Hi, I'm confused on the method of calculating the power of the sawtooth function.
In my textbook the the general formula for claculating the power is

definition 1. http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5091/75697758.jpg

where the limit approaches infinity and the limits are -T/2 to T/2.

For periodic function they say this can be simplfiied to just

definition 2. http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5962/54601684.jpg

so now the T value is actually the period (finite), and the limits are also the finite numbers where the period is from.

For the SAWTOOTH function I know it is periodic so doing with the function equal to f(x) = Ax from for example -1 to 1 (period) and so T = 2

gets the answer that the power is

Px = A^2/3

If i just use the general formula I get infinity!

so for periodic functions is it NECESSARY that you HAVE to use definition 2, and you cannot use definition 1?

example when I use defintion 1 for the saw tooth

i get

lim 1/T A^2 [t^3/3)] limits are from T/2 to - T/2
T-> infinity

so you get

lim 1/T A^2 (T^3/4)
T-> infinity

=

lim A^2 (T^2/4)
T-> infinity

= infinity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those two formulas give you two different quantities. The first one gives you the average power delivered over all time. If the sawtooth source is switched on for an infinitely long time then it delivers infinite power to the load. Hence, the average power is infinite. But no source is ever switched on for an infinitely long time, so that quantity isn't of much interest.

What you are interested in is the quantity given by the second formula, which is the average power delivered to the load in just one period. That is finite, as you found.

But if you find the power of a sinusoid using the first formula

you get a finite number even though that sinusoid is define on all t as well...

ex. Acos(wt)

P = A^2/2 using the first formula

Why would you expect the average value for all t of the sinusoid and the sawtooth function to behave the same way? They're completely different functions.

salman213 said:
But if you find the power of a sinusoid using the first formula

you get a finite number even though that sinusoid is define on all t as well...

ex. Acos(wt)

P = A^2/2 using the first formula

When you take the limit of T to infinity, this means that your period is infinite.
For a sinusoid, the amplitude is limited, so the power in one period is a finite number, no matter how long the period is.
For a sawtooth wave, the amplitude grows with time. So, if you take an infinite time, you have an infinite amplitude and an infinite power.

1. What is a sawtooth function?

A sawtooth function is a mathematical function that resembles the shape of a sawtooth, with a linear increase followed by a sudden drop back to its starting point. It is a periodic function and is commonly used in signal processing and sound synthesis.

2. How is the power of a sawtooth function calculated?

The power of a sawtooth function is calculated by squaring the amplitude of the function at each point and finding the average value over one period. This can be done using integration or by taking the mean square value of the function.

3. What is the significance of the power of a sawtooth function?

The power of a sawtooth function is important in signal analysis as it represents the energy or strength of the signal. It can also be used to determine the harmonic content of the signal, as the power of a sawtooth function is directly related to the amplitude of its harmonics.

4. Can the power of a sawtooth function be negative?

No, the power of a sawtooth function cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the energy or strength of the signal. Negative values would not make sense in this context.

5. How is a sawtooth function used in real-world applications?

Sawtooth functions have many practical applications, such as in audio and music synthesis, where they are used to create a variety of sounds. They are also used in signal processing for filtering and analysis, and in electrical engineering for generating periodic waveforms.