1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a water pump

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pump, taking water from a large reservoir, is used to spray a jet of water with speed 20 ms^1 and radius 0.05 metres, from a nozzle level with the surface of the reservoir. Calculate the power of the pump.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright I'll admit I'm pretty lost here and haven't been able to mount a very convincing attempt at a solution. I'm used to force-work-power problems based on the motion of an object so I'm not sure how to model this exercise. Even the wording is unclear; should I take initial speed 20 ms^-1, ending speed 0, distance 0.05? Where is the jet directed, horizontally or vertically?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

In 1 second, you project a cylinder of water 20m long and 0.05m in diameter [thus calculate volume then mass of water] at 20m/s.
    That mass of water will have kinetic energy - usual formula 0.5mv^2
    So the pump has to supply that amount of kinetic energy per second.

In addition, potential energy may be involved - depends whether the water is ejected above or below the source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook